Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM

mastergunsg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
a 200.00 generator is not a generator worth having. hell my lights run more than 880 watts.
I bought a used Honda 1500w, at an Auction when i first got my tank.It would be used just as a back up for the pumps and heaters only. I decided that the corals could do without lights if I was going to be in the dark as well, and then the other day i was at KMS tools and saw a $199 1500w peak 1000w rms generator on sale for $60. Works just fine for pumps and heater. And now the Honda can run my lights and TV when the power goes down or a small heater if its cold outside. Great insurance IMO.

Currently building a 36x36x24 90g,sequence dart,OM 4 way 2' in 1 1/2 out external overflow,blueline overflow return pump. System Has to be near silent. Single reflector must be rectangular and have enough output for sps on top 2/3 of tank,wherever they are placed.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM

mastergunsg is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you have a cheep one only keep a little fuel in it and run it up for about 15 min once a week, make sure you have to add new fuel at least once a month to keep fresh stuff in the carb. (this goes for the good ones also.)

Steve
Thats a good idea.
I would also put a fuel stabilizer in the tank as well, this helps to keep old fuel from gumming up the carbs

Currently building a 36x36x24 90g,sequence dart,OM 4 way 2' in 1 1/2 out external overflow,blueline overflow return pump. System Has to be near silent. Single reflector must be rectangular and have enough output for sps on top 2/3 of tank,wherever they are placed.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

a square wave should run a single phase ac motor, they will run rougher than normal as its not a smooth wave but the square wave should make the motor turn, it might just be a little loud,
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Heard that some generators can actually harm some of the aquarium equipment. Something about not providing the proper type of current. Dont know the exact details though, maybe someone else here can provide some better info on this.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road
Default Test Failed

I tested my old 300W battery back up, it would not power my pump. So I will see if I can find one of those battery backups at Canadian Tire. Any Suggestions or advice?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Any research I did suggested that a square wave UPS won't work for aquarium equipment. Even an approximation to a sine wave UPS is iffy. I found a true sine wave UPS, but they were $650 each. I wanted something that would kick in while not home, but figured I should have at least something, so I went to C-Tire to get one of those Eliminator back-ups. While there, I happened upon this...

...the beauty of which is that it's automatic. This one will power a MaxiJet 1200 for 13 hours. There are bigger ones available. Up to 1500W, I think.

HTH,
Old 04-11-2008, 03:06 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
...the beauty of which is that it's automatic. This one will power a MaxiJet 1200 for 13 hours. There are bigger ones available. Up to 1500W, I think.

HTH,
That looks like what I need. Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

is that not square wave also? square wave will run most of our equipment, but has problems with magnetic drive pumps and electronics. probably a few other things.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I've scoped the output from inverters, differnent UPS's and even my cheap generator and other than the ones costing thousands all basically all are a modified sinewave of some sort (some look like stacked square blocks the make the sine waveform).

Either way do know I've run my Iwaki, Reeflo and heaters on some crappy looking outputs without problems.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
is that not square wave also? square wave will run most of our equipment, but has problems with magnetic drive pumps and electronics. probably a few other things.

Steve
It's modified sine wave.