Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

bulbs are definitely not an issue, are you running a skimmer at the moment? 1 power head isn't all that much for a 44-gallon imo, for now just try to position the power head as best as possible so the tanks getting even flow, just my 2 cents

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv_reefer View Post
bulbs are definitely not an issue, are you running a skimmer at the moment? 1 power head isn't all that much for a 44-gallon imo, for now just try to position the power head as best as possible so the tanks getting even flow, just my 2 cents
Agreed.....

i added a korialia 1 and nano to my 34 G rsm as there was little to no flow on the front of my rock face. the korialia 1 is behind my rock face to blow out debris and the koralia nano is pointed at the front of my rock face.

I keep meaning to get pics when i do maintanece so others can see. i have been asked to do this on another board and have just forgotten. the reason being is that I built my rockscape around the Koralia to ensure no POOp would end up settling behind my rock wall. ( I ABSOLUTLY LOATH SIPHONING)
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 AM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

Yes, I do have a skimmer. I have now programmed my lights to come on only from 6pm to 8pm. I will try this for a week. Hopefully that will work. Maybe I will get another powerhead as well. Do you position your powerhead more in the middle of the tank rather then to the surface of the water? I have mine closer to the top. Any suggestions for keeping the sand clean?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:04 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Add more flow. You want a minimum of 20x turnover. 40x is better. In my 33 gal I've got about 30x and will add another koralia 2 to bring it up a bit over 40. That should help with your red slime and also keep crap in suspension so it can be removed instead of settling on the sand.

For keeping the sand clean try a couple of big nassarius snails, a strawberry conch, or a tiger tail sea cucumber. They do a good job on mine.

HTH
Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 AM
dstasiuk

I hate to admit it, but I gave in to Cyano and used meds. My tank has LPS, softies, and lots of inverts. I used Chemiclean, and it worked great.

It's been 2 months since the treatment, and no cyano has come back. My corals didn't mind the stuff at all - as a matter of fact, they "perked up", if anything.

Cyano is one of the ugliest plagues IMO, but from what I have seen, it's usually one of the last - hang in there - you will persevere
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Gordon H is on a distinguished road

From what we have been able to learn, red slime algae is primarily the result of too many nutrients in the tank. We are struggling with it now. We have been reducing our feeding and increasing frequency and volume of water changes. We also added a few brittle star fish to supplement our clean up crew. It seems to be going away in line with our reduction in nitrates (got pretty high for a while). Also, we just picked up two orange spotted sand-sifting gobies, and those have been helping us get rid of it - and they're cute to watch while they work.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Add more flow. You want a minimum of 20x turnover. 40x is better. In my 33 gal I've got about 30x and will add another koralia 2 to bring it up a bit over 40. That should help with your red slime and also keep crap in suspension so it can be removed instead of settling on the sand.

For keeping the sand clean try a couple of big nassarius snails, a strawberry conch, or a tiger tail sea cucumber. They do a good job on mine.

HTH
In my reading and experience, it's not the actual turn over rate of your tank, it's the interraction of the water at surface with air and mking sure that all the water in your aqurium is being moved.
I increased my flow, spent almost 200 bucks on new Koralia but the Cyano actually grew more in the higher flow.
Once I took the two new powerheads out and changed the flow from the two existing ones i had initially had and my return pump so that there were no dead spots AND I had done more siphoning of the rocks and the substrate and replaced siphon with clean sw the cyano started to recede.
I also noticed that once the cyano had been reduced, my scarlett hermits chowed down on it pretty good.

I would try adjusting your current flow before you go blow some cash on new powerheads.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I've use chemiclean on our old tanks (30g and 120g) and it worked for a few months, but then we would need to use it again. Never did any damage to any inverts or corals, and it would get rid of the cyano. However on our 230g we used a whole bottle of chemiclean and it didn't do a thing to get rid of the cyano. Went to Blue World and Mike told us about Kent Marine Tech-M which helps supplement the magnesium levels in your tank and eliminates cyano. I admit I was a bit skeptical at first but 3 days after adding some the cyano is gone.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:45 PM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

So where should the power heads be positioned??? I used to have it near the surface of the water but maybe I should have them down closer to the middle of the tank towards the live rock where the cyano is growing. I already have a sand sifting goby as well as a sand sifting star fish to help with the sand. Maybe the increased flow will help with the sand as well. It almost sounds like I should have a powerhead on each end of my tank.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

its not really a matter of where you place the PH but where its current is blowing. just aim it at the rocks where the cyno is. i have found trhem to be loud at the top. mostly due to water levels droping from evap.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.