Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Cool

Mine gets numerous brine and mysis as well as cyclpeeze. u use cyclos once every 2-3 days. and frozen shrimp 2 every day. with the pumps off enough food falls on him to eat plenty. i start and stop the pumps a second time to get food airborn again that has settled on the bottom. i do NO spot fedding and he looks better now then when i bought it.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstasiuk View Post
I don't understand these things either. I had one that was spectacular - about 12" across when open. It slowly started to recede from both edges until there was only a tiny (about 1" spot) with any life left on it - about 3 bubbles.

I was about to dispose of it, but decided to stick it on a small shelf in a non-visible spot until it died completely. Now, about 3 weeks later, it's recovering very well - it has reclaimed about 50% of it's skeleton and visibly growing every day. Sure happy I didn't toss it.

I have also seen a similar behavior from one at our LFS - is it possible this is abit of a cycle they go through?
The exact same thing happened with our bubble coral
Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

The one pictured in my avatar was around 10 yrs. old when it died from an infection. However I believe it was due to an alkalinity problem, which is another story.

It loved intense light, from my 250w 65k Iwasaki, [plus window sunlight], in my 70g cube to its last home in my 225g with 400w Radiums. It was close to 2 ft. sq. when open in all its glory. My mated Blue Striped Cinnamon clowns called it home.

For current, I always found it liked enough to move the bubbles but not enough to distort their shape. I usually fed it some type of shrimps like mysis or before that the larger krill types. It also ate anything it could catch floating pass, including a chromis once.

Best to feed them in the evening light, when there light catching bubbles are mostly gone and all their feeding catchers are out waving around.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

yes Doug you had a beautiful bubble coral i can also vouch it love the light and Doug's was a white pearl one amazing and huge... mine was a green one that is on the down hill for some reason , I havent got the reason on what caused it to go that way. but since im 8000 miles away from it I'm hoping that Doug can help it out....
Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
For current, I always found it liked enough to move the bubbles but not enough to distort their shape. I usually fed it some type of shrimps like mysis or before that the larger krill types. It also ate anything it could catch floating pass, including a chromis once.

Best to feed them in the evening light, when there light catching bubbles are mostly gone and all their feeding catchers are out waving around.
i Agree 100% except for the chromis thing havent lost one of those yet, ia m however missing a camel shrimp since adding the bubble.

As for the light i have a red sea max tank and the light is decent but not good and it does fine i have it mid tank.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Banned

Mattgesy is on a distinguished road

well i moved it to this one spot, and its more not so intense lighting, and it seems to be doing better, like barly any flow to the water, and the bubbles are starting to come back about 2 right now, so here's hoping its going to pop back up
Thanks everyone

(last time i get myself one of these lol)