Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Nicole8ca is on a distinguished road

Here's what their website says. It doesn't specify live or cooked.

Seafood (brine)
Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road

I travel all over the world with Air Canada for work quite a bit. 60,000 miles a year by plane. When ever I go to halifax I always buy a case of lobster at the airport to bring back. They pack it in a styro box lined with news paper wich is then placed in a plastic bag then in a box. I have taken small boxes with me on the plane (carry on) and bigger boxes I check in. I have never signed a perishable goods release form and have never been questioned about it because everyone does it. All you see is people walking through the airport with their lobster.

I don't see why it would be a problem taking fish back as long as they are packed correctly ( until one bad egg ruins it for everyone ). Just the other week there was a lady in Ocean Aquatics having 2 boxes of fish and sps corals packed to take back with her to the east coast. From my understanding she was traveling Air Canada. Keeping in mind and they probably will not admit it but those travelling Executive or are Air Canada Elite, Super Elite members do get preferential treatment.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 PM

kat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kat

i just brought a large shipping box from vancouver to halifax via WestJet and didn't have any issues. See if they can handle your flight.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
i just brought a large shipping box from vancouver to halifax via WestJet and didn't have any issues. See if they can handle your flight.
If WestJet flew to Prince Rupert I would never fly Air Canada again. The two WestJet flights I have been on in the past have been excellent, on time, good service, clean comfortable planes. Unfortunately it will take 5 to 10 years before WestJet becomes the dominant airline in Canada and drives Air Canada into bankruptcy.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM

Slipstream is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Slipstream Send a message via MSN to Slipstream Send a message via Yahoo to Slipstream

Youd be surprised, i think they said that they had a 180% increase in passenger volume last year.. They added something like 200 extra flights, to 10 new destinations, wouldnt be surprised if they fly to Rupert regularly some time this year.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
Youd be surprised, i think they said that they had a 180% increase in passenger volume last year.. They added something like 200 extra flights, to 10 new destinations, wouldnt be surprised if they fly to Rupert regularly some time this year.
Actually their business model makes them stick to one aircraft (737) and an aircraft of this size needs to service a town that has enough population to fill the seats. So unless they change their business model, they won't fly to all one-horse towns out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

As predicted here is my inane response from Air Canada including the requisite cut-and-paste platitudes:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email outlining your concerns regarding our recent decision to no longer accept pets as checked baggage.

We review all our policies, procedures and services on a regular basis to ensure that our product offering responds to customer demand while keeping pace with industry standards and economic realities.

As you are aware, effective July 15, 2007, we will no longer accept pets as checked baggage, this policy applies to live fish as well.

You may still transport your fish through Air Canada Cargo, who have a specialized “live animal travel” program and are able to plan the best flights for your fish to travel on. More information is available at: http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/services/ac_live.html

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Customer Relations
Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Slipstream is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Slipstream Send a message via MSN to Slipstream Send a message via Yahoo to Slipstream

We should all start sending them messages of how we are very dissapointed in them, and how we arent going to fly with them anymore.. LOL
Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Nicole8ca is on a distinguished road

Well I'm not going to fly with them regardless, but I'll definately send an email for kicks.

Did you ask about corals in your email or did you specify fish? I can't help but notice they didn't address corals.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM

I thought I would ask them if it was OK to bring live lobster, if they say yes, then how can they refuse other live inverts or fish, especially if we claim we are going to eat them.