Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 PM

mikeT is on a distinguished road
Default new 90g

I just picked up a 90G tank from Bigals over boxing day. Im currently upgrading from my 55G planted freshwater. I would like to change to reef setup.

So I need some advice....

can I use any of my existing equipment like the AQ500 filter, Emporer biowheel filter, florescent lighting(4 powerglow t8 tubes 10000k), heater, power head.

I want to make a sumpless setup .... any suggestions on equipment and or lighting ..... i want to stay on a reasonable budget and keep it as simple as possible.

sorry for the newbie questions. Ive searched the site and read what i can but get more confused the more i read. so im looking for the readers digest version.

thanks
mike
Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Welcome!

As for your existing equipment, I'd honestly say the only thing that *could* work for a saltwater aquarium would be your lighting, and then only if you were doing a fish-only system. Corals will require much more lighting!

In addition, you will want a skimmer (HOB - hang on back) and some powerheads/pumps for water movement as a bare minimum.

What are you hoping to keep, exactly? Do you have some live rock?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM

I dont have anything yet ... just getting a plan together.

I hope to start off small and build it up over time, maybe a clown fish or two and anenome and some other beginner freindly corals.

does the protein skimmer act as the 'mechanical filter' and the live rock acts as the 'biological filter'???

how much live rock would be needed for a 90G or does that all depend on the load? I would like a white sandy bottom so I will use the 'live sand' or crushed coral as well.

I know its about 10gallons per fish, what about crabs and other invertabrites?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Slipstream is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Slipstream Send a message via MSN to Slipstream Send a message via Yahoo to Slipstream

Its about 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon of water. And that varies slightly depending on the type of live rock, but thats probably your best guideline to follow. Live rock acts as a Bio filter.

I suggest ya start with a FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock) system, as its a bit easier to set up and get running, than ya can add equipment and corals in the future once it gets established. Now, im SURE that somebody is gonna disagree with me, but in MY EXPERIENCE, a FOWLR is a lot easier to successfully set up.

Also, i suggest ya look at a couple charts chart that shows ya what fish are compatible with other fish if you plan on having more than just clowns. Heres one that looks fairly decent. But you might want to find another one to compare them.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2605
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Indeed, a FOWLR is a much simpler endeavor.

I will disagree with the 1.5lbs rock/gallon, though. I honestly don't think there's a magical number you can come up with. In reading certain threads on ReefCentral, it also seems as though some people are moving toward the "less is more" philosophy.

Certainly, aesthetics is something to consider as well. If you don't just want a tank stacked full of rock, you don't buy that much. Simple as that.

I would say, buy what you can afford (as far as live rock is concerned), and go from there. You can always add more later.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeT View Post
I just picked up a 90G tank from Bigals over boxing day. Im currently upgrading from my 55G planted freshwater. I would like to change to reef setup.

So I need some advice....

can I use any of my existing equipment like the AQ500 filter, Emporer biowheel filter, florescent lighting(4 powerglow t8 tubes 10000k), heater, power head.

I want to make a sumpless setup .... any suggestions on equipment and or lighting ..... i want to stay on a reasonable budget and keep it as simple as possible.

sorry for the newbie questions. Ive searched the site and read what i can but get more confused the more i read. so im looking for the readers digest version.

thanks
mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Canreef

My 90g is sumpless. I run powerfilters and use a Tunze in tank skimmer. Here is my review of it.
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30063

Its a good skimmer but certainly not as good as many of the larger sump models the guys use but works good for my situation. It is in the way of my T-5 lights and would be better in a duel halide design. Your current 4 bulb fixture may be fine for growing a few easier corals. Perhaps mushrooms and a few others, higher up in the tank.

Lost of good threads and info in our reference library if that helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You can use your heater I bet!

By AQ500 do you mean an AquaClear 500? If so, you can use that to run carbon (buy a good brand and put it in a filter bag instead of the AquaClear carbon), and a phosphate absorbing media (buy one that is brownish red, not white).

Do not use the Emperor biowheel filter. It will be a nitrate factory, and you don't want that in a saltwater aquarium.

I'd say keep your lighting for now, and do as already suggested...setup up a FOWLR, and upgrade as you go. Your lighting will be sufficient to have some low light corals like mushrooms, maybe some polyps/zoos.

For a protein skimmer...buy the best you can afford. Seriously. Spend the money on your skimmer!! The only two HOB skimmers I would recommend would be the AquaC Remora Pro ~$200 (you'd need the Pro, not the regular model), or the Deltec MCE-300 ~$300.

If you can afford it, spend the $4-500 on drilling your tank, plumbing, a sump, and a return pump. You can buy protein skimmers that are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Like the EuroReef skimmers.

I'd say with about 50-75 lbs of some nice live rock (look for funky shapes, not round pieces). Tonga tends to be nicer than Fiji. Fiji is usually about $5/lb, and Tonga around $6.50/lb, but Tonga is more porous so you get bigger pieces for less cost. This will be enough live rock to "do the trick" (nitrate "removal" among other things).

I would suggest that you get 3-4 powerheads that when combined have a total flow of at least 1800 gph. Say...3 that push 600 gph or more. You could use MaxiJets, but you'd have to buy Maxi-Jet mod kits for them to boost their flow. You have to buy the mod kits online. Just Google it. Or try the Hydor Koralia's. They are good and relatively cheap. You could easily use one Koralia 2, and two Koralia 3s. They have a higher flow rate, but their flow is dispersed, so you need to buy a higher flow than it's rated. The Koralia's would probably be your best bet.

For sand, I wouldn't bother with "live". You're putting live rock in there, so I see no point in using live sand.

When you're curing your live rock (this will be about 4-6 weeks of just rock in your tank, no inhabitants) don't put your sand in until your rocks have cycled the tank (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate <10). Then set up the rocks the way you want them, and put the sand around the rocks (don't put the rocks on the sand). That way when your fish dig the sand around they won't topple your rocks.

After your cycle, and you sand has settled for a few days, then you can buy a cleanup crew (snails, shrimp, etc). I suggest you buy 1/4 of what the pet store will tell you to buy in their "clean up crew packages". HAHA! They always tell you to buy WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much, and half of it will die from starvation.

After a couple weeks of cleanup crew action, then you can add your first fish. Don't add too many at once. Just a couple at a time/per week. That "one fish per 10 gallons" is BS, don't listen to that. So don't expect to have fish in your tank for at least 6-8 weeks after your rock goes in.

J&L Aquatics in Burnaby is a very good place to go. The staff is very knowledgable there, and will help you out. Just make sure you ask lots of questions.

Oh, and remember this: Nothing good happens fast in a marine aquarium. So have patience.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:28 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef!

What kind of 90g tank did you pick up? Bowfront, rectangular, cube?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Thanks guys for the tips.

The 90G i picked up is rectangular in shape.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:29 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks guys for the tips.
No questions or comments after that book I wrote for you?

SPS fanatic.