Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-27-2007, 05:42 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road
Wink

Wow, 35 fish in a one week old 210 gallon tank all at once hey? But you used AragAlive, fluidized bed filter media and a canister filter from an old tank so everything is spiffy . . .

I suggest you and your wife flip a coin next Boxing Day before you walk into a LFS. The winner of the coin flip gets to be the responsible one. You could call that person the "Designated Buyer" - friends don't let friends drop 35 fish in a week old 210 gallon tank.

Now lemme go climb down from my soap box.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12-27-2007, 07:12 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Gee, I'd keep my fingers crossed for the madarin and the maxima. That's a heck of a lot of bioload to be adding all at once regardless of how well seeded your media already was.

As for myself, I went for a couple of big boys toys: Tunze multicontroller and a 6055 nanostream (and a Phosban reactor thrown in for good measure) - over $500 gone.

Then I picked up the wife and it was her turn to go nuts - another $1,000 for a new stove and various other items leaving me even poorer than when I started.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default hey

Man the boxing day sale at my house was just madness,I know I said no barttering but couldnt help my self.They said I cant afford that Ausie corral.So I said damit slash that price to myself .And I said to myself they are good people so it okay Rob do it.Sorry to the people that didnt get the free coffee because I ran out coffee cream sugar and no more clean cups.Parking was hectic and drove my brother nuts because they kept parking in his spot and he kept coming down and telling me .I dont know if I can quit this hobby as today was so much fun,Would like to this next year as I had so much fun saying do you see that coral trying to hide from you.( Get him before he hides again

Last edited by Salmon King; 12-27-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default hey

As for the guy that put all the fish in his 235gal.Look at me in 6 months I went from a 33 gal. with 2 mushrooms and no fish to a 135 loaded with coral and fish and the only thing I tested was my ph.No matter what if it works what the heck dont try and fix it.Please post the out come of your 30 new fish.You are a very brave man for posting that.

Last edited by Salmon King; 12-27-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
Not reef-related, but I went to Future Shop today and it was MADNESS. There were some things I wanted (and some great deals), but I couldn't handle the mayhem!
This photo doesn't do it justice. I felt like I was on the subway in Seoul during rush hour (something I *have* experienced!):

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM

saltaddict is on a distinguished road

We are well on our way to transferring everything over to our 230g, we plan on adding everything from our 2 smaller tanks to the big one in the next couple of days so as long as Sean's 210g is cycled, and hopefully he has cured LR going in, he should be fine. Oops I posted this under saltaddict instead of fishoholic

Last edited by saltaddict; 12-27-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Was anyone at JL Aquatics on Boxing Day? If so, can you recall what the deals were on any salt? I missed it, and I want to know for future years what it costs me when I'm not available to go to that sale.

If it is a lot, I may have to hire someone to purchase for me next year.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 AM

jasond is on a distinguished road
Default Couldnt resist...

Well had to stop by a couple of the shops today. Managed to get a nice piece of sun coral, couple awesome pieces of LR (fiji) and a goby. On top of my J&L order I am done. Dropped over $300, thats good for now!

So much for no shopping this week! Glad to hear everyone got stocked up!

Jason
Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road
Default 35 fish at once

So I seem to be recieving a little bit of critisism for adding 35 fish to my tank at once. Guess everyones entitled to their oppinion, big thanks to those who realize that the rules can always be bent and manipulated to your desires something that I have learned with expierence. It wasn't my plan to do this as when me and my wife went to J&L I had made a list for her and a list for me to give to the employees in the fish room as soon as we got in. A divide and conquer plan wich came in handy considering the large amount of people that showed up in the morning. Unfortunately my wife didn't stick to just the list and I probably didn't either. Can't pass up a good deal now can I.

So heres an update on how everything is doing. Everyone has settled into the tank now and all is going well except for one bangaii cardinal that didn't look so good from the moment he went into the tank. Ended up getting a burial at sea via the toilet. Not too bad all things considered. Clam is doing good and the mandarin is hunting amongst the rock. One yellow tang has been singled out and being picked on but this is to be expected with yellow tangs. I am considering moving him to another tank for the time being.

Now onto the water quality. Ammonia levels 0, Nitrite levels 0, Nitrate levels increasing just a little but nothing out of the ordinary. I believe the low ammonia levels and nitrite levels could be attributed to the fully matured Life guard FB 900 fluidized bed filter. Wich is rated for a 900 gallon fully stocked tank. If anyone is planning on a tank that is heavily stocked with fish I would reccomend a fluidized bed filter as they do not take long to become established and they are very quick to react to a large increase in bio load. I have been using them for 10 years now.

I will post further updates either in this thread or my tank journal thread that I plan on updating with pics soon.

Thanx

Sean
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
So I seem to be recieving a little bit of critisism for adding 35 fish to my tank at once. Guess everyones entitled to their oppinion, big thanks to those who realize that the rules can always be bent and manipulated to your desires something that I have learned with expierence. It wasn't my plan to do this as when me and my wife went to J&L I had made a list for her and a list for me to give to the employees in the fish room as soon as we got in. A divide and conquer plan wich came in handy considering the large amount of people that showed up in the morning. Unfortunately my wife didn't stick to just the list and I probably didn't either. Can't pass up a good deal now can I.

So heres an update on how everything is doing. Everyone has settled into the tank now and all is going well except for one bangaii cardinal that didn't look so good from the moment he went into the tank. Ended up getting a burial at sea via the toilet. Not too bad all things considered. Clam is doing good and the mandarin is hunting amongst the rock. One yellow tang has been singled out and being picked on but this is to be expected with yellow tangs. I am considering moving him to another tank for the time being.

Now onto the water quality. Ammonia levels 0, Nitrite levels 0, Nitrate levels increasing just a little but nothing out of the ordinary. I believe the low ammonia levels and nitrite levels could be attributed to the fully matured Life guard FB 900 fluidized bed filter. Wich is rated for a 900 gallon fully stocked tank. If anyone is planning on a tank that is heavily stocked with fish I would reccomend a fluidized bed filter as they do not take long to become established and they are very quick to react to a large increase in bio load. I have been using them for 10 years now.

I will post further updates either in this thread or my tank journal thread that I plan on updating with pics soon.

Thanx

Sean
Yes pictures would be nice. And well i wouldn't do it (35 fish at once) your right rules can be bent, most people spout off second and third hand info as gospel never actually seeing if it is in fact truth they are spouing or garbage. If you look at the large reef tanks forum on reefcentral you notice that many people with big tanks put many fish in at once with no ill effects. I don't think most people realized what your Fluidized bed filter was capable of though. As a note i wouldn't do the 35 fish at once because i cannot afford 35 fish at once...

Last edited by Pan; 12-29-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: EDITED FOR SPELLING ERRORS>>> Probably missed some as well it's late