Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default What's the best bang for the buck TV?

Looking to upgrade our 5 years old 27" Samsung to an LCD or Plasma tv in the next while. Probably something in the 32" to 42" range. Any super deals out there that you know of? I'm mainly concerned that I'll be able to watch Canucks' games clearly. So any television-aficionados (woohoo, first time I used this word in a posting) have any good advice during the buying season?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 AM

teejay is on a distinguished road
Default Tv

I bought a 52 inch SHARP "AQUOS" about 3 months ago.I don"t think there is a better TV out there.It cost just over three grand(about a quarter the cost of my reef tank.LOL).
I have to admit sometimes I am too busy gazing into my tank to even turn it on.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 AM

NateL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NateL

Depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. We got a Samsung 56in LCD DLP projection from Costco, and I love it- its HUGE! At Costco it looked tiny next to the 62in but when we got it home we found we had barely enough room for the 56. It was less than 2500 after taxes. Its not a thin screen, but its only about 12 in deep and came with a stand. LCD's and Plasmas are really nice to mount them on a wall. I prefer the LCD's over plasmas because I have heard that they last longer, hold their picture better, and there is less chance of burning in an image.

My brother just bought an aquios 42in for around 1500 in Bellingham. Open box at Best buy. It is a very very nice tv. If you are planning on watching high def, be sure to get the 1080p resolution as it is the highest available right now.

Last edited by NateL; 12-23-2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added comment about the aquios
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

How about a 42" Panasonic 1080P Viera PZ77 Plasma for about $1499 on Boxing Day? Currently, London Drugs has them for $1599. But there's a rumour that it'll be $1499 at Sears on Boxing Day. FS and BB prices are much higher ($1899-$1999).

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...light=th42pz77

APC Mag:

http://apcmag.com/6983/the_case_for_plasma_hdtvs
Cached version:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=ca

RE: Your Canucks Requirement:

"Plasmas do sport better

The response times of the plasma screens that we examined (the time it takes for a pixel to switch on and off and on again) was around 4ms. While it’s not as fast as the response times of CRT TVs (once measured by Tom’s Hardware as .8 ms) it’s still faster than LCD screens. The fastest LCDs have response times of around 6ms while most are now around the 8ms mark. The difference in reponse time translates to more visible motion blur on the LCD TVs. In moments of fast action, the LCD TVs don’t keep up as well as plasmas and fuzziness is evident around some of the play."

"We watched Ten’s AFL HD broadcasts (1920 x 1080i broadcast format) on both plasmas and LCDs, and when the action on the field became fast paced, there was visible blurring in parts of the LCD pictures. We don’t want to overstate the problem, since the higher resolution of an HDTV regardless of whether it’s a plasma or LCD makes the sporting experience much more immersive than on an old SD set, but it can be annoying to see the kind of blurring in fast paced scenes that you’d never see on a CRT TV. For the worst sporting experience, watch an SD broadcast like the rugby league on an HDTV. The upscaling of the SD picture to fit the HDTV screen, plus some motion blur, makes the experience a horror show. "

RE: Bang For the Buck:

"You get more TV for the money"

"Most plasmas in retail outlets range in size between 42in and 50in and tend to cost less than equivalent sized LCD TVs."

"You can get a 50inch Panasonic (127cm) 1366x768 plasma with an integrated TV tuner (Viera TH-50PX70A) – or a 50in 1366x768 LG plasma with integrated tuner (50PC1D) for around $3,000-$3,500. In the tests, a Panasonic 50in plasma panel was one of the best TVs we looked at. Any LCD TV at around the same size will cost roughly double. For example, the 52in Sony Bravia (KDL52X2000) retails for around $9,000. "

RE: Power Consumption:

"Plasmas don’t consume more power than LCDs"

"In a direct comparison between two similarly sized TVs, the LG 42 inch plasma (42PC1DG-AA), used 0.216 kilowatts per hour, vs the 0.228 kilowatts of the LG 42 inch LCD — (42LC7D-AB). "

RE: Lifespan:

"Plasma's lifespan is now long enough not to matter."

"At 40,000 hours, that’s 20 years of watching TV five hours a day. It’s unlikely you’ll still have the same TV set 20 years from now regardless of how good the picture is."

RE: Burn-In:

"Plasma's propensity for burn-in is overblown."

"We even left a fixed image on a Panasonic plasma for about eight hours (sorry Panasonic!) to see whether we could detect a faint burn or ghost, but no such luck. A Panasonic engineer who was not aware of our experiment then told us it would take about four days or more for a static image to burn its ghost onto a modern plasma screen."

"It’s highly unlikely that any plasma would be stuck on the same image four days in a row."

Consumer Reports rated the 50" Panasonic Plasma PZ700 (an older model) as having the best picture for a flat panel TV ever tested:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...sma-tvs-ov.htm

"The Panasonic TH-50PZ700U 1080p plasma TV has the best picture quality of any flat-panel TV we've tested, with very fine detail, rich colors and deep blacks."

Last edited by Samw; 12-23-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default hey

I only deal with the manager of a big chain and me and friends say samsung and I have alot of friends.I sell more then there top employees and I dont work there
Old 12-23-2007, 08:47 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

I say Toshiba or Sharp LCD. As with any brand , make sure you check the model # there is a noticible difference in picture quality. Be weary of contrast ratio stats between companies, compare them by eye as one TV tech told me.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

If you have the room projectors are awesome and not nearly as expensive, they can be of course but they don't have to be.

I just purchased a brand new InFocus IN72 for under $800.00
You don't even NEED a screen right away if you have a light colored wall.

The screens can be made or purchased. Of course they are the same as anything, you can spend a ton of cake or get something just fine. I think my screen was $300.00 and it works great.

The nice thing about projectors is that they have huge pictures, they're compact, portable, and can be totally hidden. Also if you ever have the need you can project a huge picture. I plan to do this in the summer. I am going to host a UFC party in my back yard and project the fights onto the side of my shop.

As for the picture quality, it's great! I don't have HD yet but the unit is ready when I do. There are probably better pictures available for a LOT more money but I am not complaining one bit. It looks awesome!
To get a 72" HD picture for under $2000.00 you just can't go wrong.

You have to keep a couple things in mind though. The the bulbs have to be replaced every year or so ($200-$400), you will need a cable box in order to watch TV and a stereo system for sound.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Your welcome to come over and watch the next Canucks game on my plazma in High Def.

Scott
Old 12-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I'm not sure ANY screen will make your Canucks look good....but good luck trying Mwaa ha ha.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-23-2007, 05:17 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Costco has a 42" LCD that does 1080P instore for $1099 or $1249 if you buy it online.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299836&whse=BCCA&Ne=5000001+ 4000000&eCat=BCCA|79&N=4008766%204294965637&Mo=1&N o=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc 1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=