Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
If it were my 3 grand, I'd go custom with everything and just build everything yourself. If you go with retro fit kits and DIY stand, plumbing etc, you will be left with more money for livestock. Plus you get the added satisfaction of telling everyone you build it youself. Thats just my thinking though.
Exactly what I was thinking.

The only thing I don't think I can do is drilling the tank so I'll probably have to have a tank made up.

Building the stands, the plumbing etc. I'd want to do myself.

I'd love to try out those Solaris lights but that will eat up most of my $3k in one fell swoop.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

The only thing I don't think I can do is drilling the tank so I'll probably have to have a tank made up.

Building the stands, the plumbing etc. I'd want to do myself.

I'd love to try out those Solaris lights but that will eat up most of my $3k in one fell swoop.
If you can build the rest, you can drill the tank. It's not hard at all. You just need to make sure you don't buy a tank made from tempered glass as it can't be drilled.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
If you can build the rest, you can drill the tank. It's not hard at all. You just need to make sure you don't buy a tank made from tempered glass as it can't be drilled.
Just a bit nervous about it I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'll be okay piecing together a tank from pre-cut sheets but figured if I was getting the glass (or acrylic) cut to size, why not get them to drill it too?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'll be okay piecing together a tank from pre-cut sheets but figured if I was getting the glass (or acrylic) cut to size, why not get them to drill it too?
Oh, I didn't realize your going to build the tank! I thought you were talking about getting a tank custom built. If they don't charge you an arm & leg, it would totally make sense to have it done by the glass shop. That way, if a panel breaks, it's on them not you!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Redrover is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hey welcome VFX...talk to Mike at Hidden Reef in Abbotsford...they do great custom work...this is a pic. of the 120 I had built

RJ
Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Wow!

Your setup looks beautiful! I'm VERY envious!

Love the fact that you have 2 display tanks!

Who did the install? How long has it been up 'n running?

What's on TV?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM

Redrover is on a distinguished road
Cool reply

Redrover tank journal...column 3...Marc [ SuperFudge ] did the install
All was done through Hidden Reef of Abbotsford

RJ
Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize your going to build the tank! I thought you were talking about getting a tank custom built. If they don't charge you an arm & leg, it would totally make sense to have it done by the glass shop. That way, if a panel breaks, it's on them not you!
A glass shop will not take liability and they will tell you that from the get go, it's like a dealership giving you a car and if you smash it up they'll pay for all the damages as well as your injury.... not going to happen unless they're a big company that make tanks for a proffesion trust me I've already asked.

On a side note if it's 3g's I have to spend on a tank build I would go with a custom 60"lx36"wx24"h frameless euro braced 6 holes predrilled on the bottom pane.(wish I could afford starfire) but that would put things way over budget so the tank realisticly would run probally 800 plumbing 140 wood 160 that would leave 1900 I would definately go budget with the sump maybe spend 150 tops on one of those huge reservoirs you know the kind on propogation on RC no baffles needed also alot more total volume return pump buy used same with tunze 61's, a wavebox and controller, skimmer DIY probally the biggest one I can make and that would probally come in pretty tight but hey I would have the tank of my dreams and it would be clean viewable from all sides no overflow on side or back just through the rockwork a durso or herbie type drain maybe use some extra glass and build an overflow box and then use rockwork to go around it sort like a volcano. I love the japan inspired tanks so clean open all around even to view from above. Anyhow I won't bore you but that's what I would do if someone threw me 3grand cash!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 AM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:

I think that he was talking about if the glass shop breaks the panel while drilling, they would cut and drill another panel.

Personally I think getting a tank built is the way to go. You can get what ever you want done with holes / overflows / returns / skim boxes, and know that the glass is the right thickness, wont be a leaker and will have the right frame and proper bracing. Also some of the aquarium manufacturers carry warranties on both stock and custom tanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:

That's just silly. Tanks aren't expensive, and if it's store bought you have warranty. Albeit many companies won't warranty a tank kept on a stand other than their own brand.

SPS fanatic.