Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2002, 09:49 PM

powerreef is on a distinguished road
Default Expensive Southdown???

Hey boys. Dan150 if you are really set on getting Southdown your best bet is to go through Home Depot Back east in the US. I live in Washington State and they gave me a price to deliver it to my door. As per the Pure carribean dist. I have dealt with them many time and they are very good folks and will take care of you. You have to remember that all dolomite sand comes from one place in the world in which Southdown has the monopoly on. The difference between the home depot playsand product and the aquarium products (pure argonite & caribsea) is that the playsand is sent to 2 main packaging plants in mexico where it is packaged in the same location as other outdoor Hardware store type products. Carib sea and Pure argonite people have it shipped bulk to them where they say they re sterilize it, run magnets and a few othe processes prior to shipping it to the aquarium industry.

I my search for sand for my reef and friends needs i did a bunch of running around looking for the best price on this product. For delivery to my door for the pure argonite foks it was $.44 per pound delivered, to get the playsand from depot delivered from thier back east store to my door was $.36 per pound. For me I went with the Pure Argonite company for the extra precedures they said that they did.

I know they are looking for distributors in canada maybe you could hook them up with a LFS and get a deal on your sand.

Mike