Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 01-15-2003, 07:14 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

yeah im talking about the rectangular ones, i belive i got it when they first came out, actually before they were released to the public, promo thing. ive had it for quite some time! at least 5 years and ive had the round ones(304) and i hate them, the 404 is fine with me, i use clear tubing on mine if that makes a difference, the ones ive seen around have cheap grey plastic tube and i belive it pops off easy, mine has never leaked.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:49 PM

bongy is on a distinguished road

Well, after using both the 403, 404 and the eheim for many years, here are my 2 cents.

For me, it will be eheim all the way. The main reasons are easy to clean, durable and they generally last longer between cleaning.

For me, the filter must be easy to clean, otherwise, I wouldn't clean it very often. I can clean my eheim 2222 (the professional version) in 5 minutes max! And without a drop of water. For the old 403, even with the quick release, it takes atleast half an hour and usually with several cups of water spilled. Sometimes, it will leak a while before I figure out the o-ring was not on properly. The new 404 is better because it no longer has the o-ring. However, getting it to prime is usually quite time consuming as they never seem to want to start right away after connected back.

Durability:
Struture-wise, the 403 is quite durable. However, there are things like the clip, and impeller that has broken on me.
The early-version of 404 seem to have a problem with seal. I got two friends that have to get their 404 replaced because they leak after being properly put back. So far, mine seem to be OK. Although the tube and connecter leak air so it usually blow a lot of air bubbles into my tank.
The eheim, no comparison again especially the profession series.

Both the fluval has a stronger flow than eheim. However, the flow will drop quickly especially if you are running it in a planted tank like me. The eheim has a weaker flow but seem to be better at maintaining it.

For me, it would be a lot cheaper and much less headache if I have gotten the eheim to begin with instead of the 403 and 404. (I got the 404 to replace the 403) I just bought the Professional 2 at boxing day to replace my current 404. Looking forward to get it setup this week.

As you can see, I really like my eheim. The only thing I don't like is their price.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:34 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Well, sometimes you get what you pay for, I guess.

Which did definitely not pan out when I bought a Rena Filstar when they first came out (to replace the Fluval we had grown to hate with a passion).

Now there was a POS. We paid over $300 at Petland. I sold it for $20, and kept waiting for the person to send over some hitmen. Couple stores pulled the product from their shelves interestingly enough.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:39 AM

whaase is on a distinguished road

hmmm... I almost bought one of those too....

Walter
Old 01-16-2003, 04:24 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Me three but I bought my fluval instead. seems I made a bad decision if I would have gone either way
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 01-26-2003, 06:21 PM

clintyiu is on a distinguished road

I have both fluval types: a 403 and a 304. Both run very well and they are pretty quiet. I had the 403 for 6 years and the 304 for 2. I just find the media containers hard to take apart with they are slimey and slippery. You can make them easier to prime by filling the container to the top of the tubes in your laundry tub.

The new 304 is much better and primes very easily (for me). Cleaning is a cinch too. But they should get rid of the cheap corrugated tubing. The suction cups are not strong enough to keep the tubes in place. The old swivel fittings are much better because they just hang off the glass.

You can get a new fluval 404 for about $160.00 btw from a LFS on Commercial drive.

I had a Magnum too and it's noisey. The impeller can jam if it accidentally sucks in some gravel and the magnets on mine started to lose grip. Maybe the new models are better.

I heard a lot of raves about Eheim's. The problem is Big Al's being their only local vendor and I do not support that company. Eheims are expensive to start with and BA makes them even more unaffordable.

jm2c
clint
Old 03-12-2003, 02:07 AM

Seamonkey is on a distinguished road

I have used Fluval filters for 3 years. I Love them. (the newer style anyway) I find them really easy, never any problems with the priming, just make sure they are full to the top before putting on the lid, when you restart, plug em in and give them a minute, pump the primer a couple times if you have to. Always start....... no noise, run quiet, I'll shut up now. :P
Old 03-12-2003, 03:18 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonkey
I have used Fluval filters for 3 years. I Love them. (the newer style anyway) I find them really easy, never any problems with the priming, just make sure they are full to the top before putting on the lid, when you restart, plug em in and give them a minute, pump the primer a couple times if you have to. Always start....... no noise, run quiet, I'll shut up now. :P
Thanks, you must work for hagen :P
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-12-2003, 03:26 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Fluvals are $140 off at Pisces....
Old 03-12-2003, 11:50 PM

whaase is on a distinguished road

That's about $139 too much