Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I see my rant on this subject from last night has disappeared.

Sorry Mods and anyone else I may have offended. Sometimes I just get a little grumpy.

As OCDP said above:
"The movie sends at the very least, one simple message. Do your own part whenever you can. Simple enough, and surely it can't hurt to start making small changes to your daily routine. I already have, and to what extent it will "help" or make a difference I don't know, but at the end of the day, you still feel good about doing something positive for the environment."

I agree whole heartedly. It just makes me mad that a hypocrite like Gore makes millions off of creating hysteria, and people lap it up. I have no problem with people making lots of money, but doing it by creating hysteria and panic is not called for.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing actually , just forgot how to spell "hypocrite" …LOL
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 PM

IceTurf is on a distinguished road

lol, i wonder how much fuel he used filming the movie

one quick q for all u people out there
Bio-fuels, way of the future, or just plain moronic?

(i think moronic personally, cuz its gonna take more energy to grow those fields of corn then you get out of it, etc)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTurf View Post
lol, i wonder how much fuel he used filming the movie

one quick q for all u people out there
Bio-fuels, way of the future, or just plain moronic?

(i think moronic personally, cuz its gonna take more energy to grow those fields of corn then you get out of it, etc)
It will also take up all the avaliable land to grow the bio fuel. So where will the food crops grow?
Honda just released a hydrogen vehicle with zero emissions , however natural gas is still used to produce hydrogen,So the emissions are still about a half of what regular gasoline engine would have. but things can change in the future

Honda Clarity
Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

I'm a farmer, burn biofuels I say LOL. It's been good for the grain side of my business, pretty bad for the livestock side though.

In all seriousness, I think it's pretty foolish burning food in our vehicles, but most North Americans would rather drive than eat cheap food. So it is the consumers choice where to utilize that product. I guess I should be thanking the enviromentalists for driving up the price of grain. It is absurd to use a necessary food to power things we don't need, but hey what do I know.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 AM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road

Aside from feeling like we shouldn't be using food as fuel, for the obvious reason that grain feeds people, is the fact that we have water quantity issues now too. There isn't enough water anymore to supply irrigation for those grain fields in many parts of the Country. You can't grow grain without water. So, we will have the ever increasing problem of being able to grow enough grain to both fuel our vehicles AND feed and water the people AND feed and water our livestock.

In my opinion, the solution is fossil fuel conservation and encouraging the production of both low fuel consumptive vehicles and hydrogen fuel technologies coupled with affordable solar and wind solutions to heat and light our homes (and tanks).

The trick here is to provide AFFORDABLE solutions and offer government grants to encourage people to make the switch.

The most difficult part of the whole thing is finding ways to make people see how we have to start doing something.... anything, no matter how small it may seem. And I don't care if you call it global warming, or whether it's a man made problem or natures cycle, and I'm not a Gore supporter. But it's obvious to me that we have to change our way of life so there will be a future for the next generations.

This trend of bigger homes and bigger cars and bigger everything really needs to change. We live in a land of plenty, but will our children?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresont View Post
It will also take up all the avaliable land to grow the bio fuel. So where will the food crops grow?
Honda just released a hydrogen vehicle with zero emissions , however natural gas is still used to produce hydrogen,So the emissions are still about a half of what regular gasoline engine would have. but things can change in the future

Honda Clarity
To bad hydrogens main emmision is water vapour which is the number one component of green house gases.

Back in the good ole days
Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default Back to the subject of weather

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...020_323701.htm

Magnitude-7.4 earthquake rocks Caribbean
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...Earthquake.php
Global warming
http://www.stevequayle.com/News.aler...to.of.day.html

How Do You Live Without Electricity

http://www.stevequayle.com/News.aler...ectricity.html

Last edited by andresont; 11-30-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:32 PM

jslaney is on a distinguished road

You have to remember what audiance the movie was made for. The average educated proactive person on this board knew about global warming long before the movie came out.

Unfortunatly there is a large percent of our worlds population (america) that did not. I think its about time we had some Green Propoganda. The petrolium industry have been using it years. Al Gore is just fighting back with the same weapons.

As what HillBilly said, the overall outcome of the movie is to realize that we have a significant impact on the earth and we should do our part to help out.

If you want to be mad at Al Gore for making money why not be mad at the CEOs of every international corporation that do absolutly nothing for the common man but rape the earth.

Individuals like Al Gore and David Sazuki are not perfect and we dont have to agree with all there opinions but they have done more good for the common man and the planet then anyone on this board ever has or will.

Its easy to judge someone from a computer.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Jon