Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Voxboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron101 View Post
One variable that I do think is often overlooked is the marketing from the industry. As with most others, consumption is encouraged to increase profit and more/bigger is better (and more expensive). Quality skimmers are expensive in an already expensive hobby.

If I had to set up a new system I would definitely look at avoiding purchasing a skimmer if at all possible by keeping the bioload reasonable and choosing corals that thrive at moderate or higher nutrient levels (ie no sps). This would reduce cost and reduce the possibility of 'equipment overload.'
Excellent points. I'm not sure which industry encourages more consumption/gadgets for profit.For me its between this one....... and golf. Unfortunately I have a passion for both

Skimmer verses no skimmer is a stupid debate/argument due to the variables involved with individual reef tanks and with no impiracle proof otherwise. I have seen amazing tanks with and without. I am still a firm believer in water changes (50% a month) ...always will be. I think by me adding a skimmer to my system will further aid in the water quality...I know it wont hurt it.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:09 AM

TeknoPunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr75 View Post
Thanks for your positive comments.
I have never used a skimmer. The first tank I set up was a 29 gallon in December 2006. Then I decided that I wanted a bigger tank and upgraded to a 50 gallon.

Both tanks have been running without a skimmer since day 1. The tank get some Diatoms but I believe this is the result of using tap water. Yes, you are reading well. I have used tap water since day one and so far no problems. I use IO salt and don't add any additives, just do weekly water changes. I have been thinking about buying a Deltec 600 (skimmer) just in case it is needed.

Here the tank specs:

50 gallon tank
2X150 HQI + 2X39 T5
1 Hydor Koralia #2
100 watt heater

That's all the equipment that I have been using since I set up this tank.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Similar to me. I have never used a skimmer and haven't had any problems either. I do have one but it is not in use... all I have it doing is helping circulate the water. my tank has been running for a year now.

to be honest I would use my skimmer for what it is suppossed to be used for but I can't figure out how to get it to work properly
T5HO dual ballast lighting (power glo, marine glo)
---------
10G Nano
Fluval 404
power glo
Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 AM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxboy View Post
I have been running my system for a little over a year. I do 25% water changes every two weeks. My system is sumpless as well. I AM however going to be adding a skimmer. My biggest fear I guess is an overall system crash....don't know why. My fish are starting to get large and when I see them poop I am amazed how much bigger thier dumps are getting. I will be adding a hang on so Idon't think it will make a big difference either way...maybe help a little. Anyone have a hang on skimmer they want to sell???

Great looking tank...it looks very healthy!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoPunk View Post
Similar to me. I have never used a skimmer and haven't had any problems either. I do have one but it is not in use... all I have it doing is helping circulate the water. my tank has been running for a year now.

to be honest I would use my skimmer for what it is suppossed to be used for but I can't figure out how to get it to work properly

Any pics of your tank?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr75 View Post
Any pics of your tank?
yea... doesn't do it any justice though.... my camera isn't very good.

---------
10G Nano
Fluval 404
power glo
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

Voxboy is on a distinguished road

Awesome tank techno. I love your wrasses as well...they get along OK with each other?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxboy View Post
Awesome tank techno. I love your wrasses as well...they get along OK with each other?
thanks... still a work in progress though.

the coris wrasses get along quite well actually, I really like them because they add some really vibrant yellow to the tank. I used to have a yellow angel and he was nice but I find the coris wrasses are brighter, and more active.
---------
10G Nano
Fluval 404
power glo