Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 AM

prodogg02 is on a distinguished road

i never seen for for like 12 years then about a 3 months ago is was on a field job just south of my shop in se calgary the guy that was with me went over to this pond and pick up a sheet of ply wood and said there was 2 that wear like 14 inchs long i didnt believe him so i went over an he wasnt full of it i caught one and it was 15inchs it was crazy huge looked awsome colby at elite said they can get to 18inchs since the 5 of them have wanderd into the shop.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah, I'm reading they can get pretty big! I had no idea. These guys are about 3.5", maybe 4" head to tail.

So far I'm feeding them crickets, and some kind of icky wormy things you can get at Petland. Apparently you have to be careful what you feed them, like, the crickets can't be more than 2 weeks old and superworms need to be decapitated because they can bite and chew their way out after being swallowed. So no superworms!! But trying some wax worms (moth caterpillars) since they're apparently high in fat and these guys could use some bulking up. Although one of them won't touch worms, already seems ot have developed a preference for crickets.

The one sucky thing is that every now and again I find an escapee cricket.

The one upside though is that I've always wanted to get into dart frogs, and just hadn't ever gotten around to it because I thought feeding baby crickets would be a hassle. Now that I'm doing it anyhow at the moment it wouldn't be much of an incremental step. Now to convince the wife. Yeah, yeah, it'll be a good educational exercise for our toddler! Yeah yeah!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

The superworm story is bogus. That thing is very dead by the time they get it down.

Wax worms have an awful calcium / phosphorus ratio and crickets aren't very good either. You have to supplement them by dusting with a good calcium powder (preferably calcium carbonate) like RepCal. You have to consider calcium relative to phosphorus because excess phosphorus can impede calcification, a min 2:1 ratio is required. Same like your reef, maybe grind up a cricket and try your Hanna meter on it

Fatty things with better calcium supply are earthworms and hornworms. I've used both blow fly maggots and trout worms as well but I am not sure of the nutritional profile on those. The bait fridge at mowhawk is a great resource.

You should try darts, they're awesome but if you think 2 week crickets are small you are in for a surprise.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

One guy I was talking to said he lost one because it ate a cricket that was too large. I asked how he knew it was the cricket that did him in, he said "because the thing crawled out after he died." So I'm not so sure that it's completely bogus, but I'm glad to hear it's probably not as big a risk as I thought it might be.

I've been reading the dart boards for years, so I sort of know the score on that one. I have no interest in trying to keep thumbnails, rather, no interest in trying to keep cultures of wingless fruit flies. That's just far too much for me.

What's the profile like on red wigglers? I could always start a compost bucket up to keep those, that's not too much work.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Tony do you still have orchids? Those would look nice with darts.

(Oh man you're so screwed!)

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 AM

Still do have some orchids although these days the collection is much smaller, restricted to those that can survive my level of devotion to them these day .. would like to setup a little terrarium. I have this great idea for masdevallias that involves modding a wine fridge ... One day, one day.

Here are some pictures I was able to get of the lizardy dudes...

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

They're so cute

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The one upside though is that I've always wanted to get into dart frogs, and just hadn't ever gotten around to it because I thought feeding baby crickets would be a hassle.
Tony, I'm going to Costa Rica in two weeks, I'll fill my pockets for you.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

They're looking good Tony. Got any names yet?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 PM

So far it's just "The smaller one" and the "The bigger one".

The smaller one is a little more brightly coloured, and the bigger one had a really bad wound on one of his back legs and I wasn't sure if he was going to overcome it (it was really badly cut up). Anyhow he's healing up but I was thinking that he could be called "Limpy".