Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 PM

IceTurf is on a distinguished road

I took a brita filter *brand new* and let it filter the amount of water I needed. Then I took the right amount of salt *correct type of salt* and added it to the water earlier this week. I then took a hydrometer and measured to make sure my salt calculations were correct, I was a little off but I adjusted this. Yestorday my water was clear and the two clowns went off somewhere behind the live rock, today my water is no longer that clear and obviously, the effects are not good for my livestock. Just today to do the water change I took out about 20% of the water in my holding tank where I moved the clown to *contains same water as main tank* and replaced that water with new, salt water, just mixed. tested it a few times before adding it to the holding tank, disconnected holding tank from main tank and added new water which is room tempurature *same temp as my tank* Yet somehow some of my coral is still alive and some of the livestock such as fan worms and small other critters are moving around in the main tank.

Strangely all the coral that doesn't have that much light on it seems to still be alive*it actually appears after taking a closer look with a flashlight, to have the same amount of color it had when I bought it and the green coral is turning greener* (makes me suspect that my tank is flip flopping around), everything which has light on it may as well be dead. Hermit crap is either dead or not trying very hard to be alive. My clown is still alive amazingly enouhg and every while I add some more conditioner, which has stuff to help new fish. Just for the past 20 min I have had a carbon filter on in the holding tank and then I turned it off, should I turn it back on?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 PM

lol I guessed that something was majorely wrong when one died.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Old 10-05-2007, 08:12 PM

got the very same thing in a book on my shelf, although everything except for about 40% new pure water is from the same store where I got the corals and clowns from. All healthy when I got them. I know I messed up somewhere but I think my nitro cycle is fine *not saying that I could be totally wrong*
Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 PM

hmm one thing i was thinking just now, I got a compact flouresent light and the dude selling me this stuff had a metal hylide, do you guys find that corals go white in areas directly in the path of the light when the type of light is changed?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 PM

bubblepuffer is on a distinguished road

any dead or artificial deco in the tank ? that might release some poison. Is your Hydrometer working fine? those thing sometimes acting weird and way out of scale.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM

I dont' really have no way of knowing if my hydrometer isn't workin, no there isn't anything fake in the tank, nothing made of metal that I know of and i checked everything before I put it in. Ok nvm about the clowns, last one died as of a few min ago, some coral around the bottom of the main colony i bought still has color, some has color because of coralline algea growth, but the stuff that hasn't been taken over by coralline algea near the base of the coral still has color so there is some hope yet. The other coral has plenty of color since I turned off my light, ok not plenty, but its still fairly green/red and for 2 full hours, its color hasnt gone down. I suppose its now saving the coral, any ideas? Theres no flow, I turned everything except for the heater off. They are acropora corals, one is a large colony, and the other one a fragement. Water looks almost cloudy white.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Turn the pumps back on, that is probably the reason your last fish died.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM

quick newb q, what does the pump do for the tank?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

So, you want to start a Marine tank…