Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Waterpond is on a distinguished road

I really want mushrooms,

I have one tyoe of mushroom coral right now.

I also have a small mushroom leather coral. I definately want zoas and polyps. I also really want frogspawn, but i cant afford it, im on the lookout for a small frag of it.

Here are some pics:

mushroom leather coral

Cassius the clownfish

I bought some chaeto because i read that if you dont have a proper fuge you will get high nitrates. Im quite happy with the rockwork and everything, i wont be changing anything except for the location of the chaeto because it is growing wild on me.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I think your tank looks great!
If you macro algae is growing its a good thing, it means its taking out the phosphates and nitrates from your water. If you decide to prune it I'm sure you could sell it or trade it with some other reefers, possibly even for that frogspawn you want.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Renegade is on a distinguished road

if your planning on a reef you may want to invest in some live rock, it looks like your using base rock, that will not have the same "critters" that you want from live rock in order to establish a stable tank.

Kyle
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

actually, i have 9 lbs of live rock and close to 15lbs of base rock.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:25 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
Default -not bad @ all

-thats about how much live rock i'll have when i'm done but until then i'll just have 2 settle with 30 pounds for my 33-gallon...by the way can u achieve the same coralline growth and life on base rock, cuz i've heard that ur supposed 2 use mostly live rock?

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Many different websites told my that was perfectly fine, i cant add more now, enless i can find cured rock.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterpond View Post
Just outside of Sarnia, ontario.
Sweet - you are right across the river (well.. I guess, "across the river and a slight drive down to Romulus") from Dick Perrin's operation "Tropicorium". Have you ever been? If not - check it out some weekend when you have a few hours to make the drive, it's well worth seeing. At least it was when I first saw it, although I guess that was a long time ago now.

Welcome to Canreef btw
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sweet - you are right across the river (well.. I guess, "across the river and a slight drive down to Romulus") from Dick Perrin's operation "Tropicorium". Have you ever been? If not - check it out some weekend when you have a few hours to make the drive, it's well worth seeing. At least it was when I first saw it, although I guess that was a long time ago now.

Welcome to Canreef btw
That sounds really interesting, do you have any info on it, what exactly is it?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Basically a coral wholesaler / coral propagator. The storefront is really just a gigantic greenhouse on his residence. He's been around forever, so he's sort of in the same category as folks like Julian Sprung, Anthony Calfo, etc.

Basically think of it as "The Mother Of All LFS's" - greenhouse after greenhouse with tank after tank full of stuff to buy.

Problem is as Canadians we can't really legally buy from him (and carry the stuff over the border). But, it's still neat to see. I'm sure that folks probably do buy the occasional thing from him and drive back, but, I've never tried this so do check into it before trying it yourself. Fish, and soft corals are typically not CITES protected so there shouldn't be an issue bringing any of those across, but live rock, stony corals and clams you should technically have a CITES import permit. Like I said though I haven't tried it, there might be others in your area who have though and could advise you better than I could.

Like I said though, if nothing else it's worth going there just to see such a large scale operation. It's jaw dropping and will likely give you tonnes of ideas to try for the hobby. Plus you can get books and dry goods and stuff.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Guess I should include their website - www.tropicorium.com - it's not the best designed site but the pictures should give you sort of an idea what they're all about