Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer
Default New Light Bulb Affecting Corals?

Last Tuesday I replaced the centre bulb of my Aqualight Pro. The old bulb was 2 years on and was the original Coralife 150W 10,000K MH HQI bulb. I replaced it with a brand new Aqua Connect 150W 14,000K bulb. I have two corals under this bulb that are not doing well all of a sudden. A Cladiella sp. and a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. The polyps of the Colt are extended, but the coral as a whole is shriveled tight...as is the Open Brain. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a new bulb(s), and if so, how it worked out for you. (FWIW, the left and right bulbs are 6 month old Coralife 150W 14,000k bulbs and everything under those are doing fine).

Thanx much,
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 AM

Renegade is on a distinguished road

I guessing you shocked them, as the new light will be ALOT brighter then the old one, (being 2 yrs old), its probly shriveling to try and hide from the light, try and either defuse the light for a little while or cut back on the light cycle till they get used to it.

Kyle
Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Recommend that you move the corals that are unhappy with the new light for a while into the other parts of the tank. I also use the Aquaconnect 14000k (250w DE) on a Aqualight Pro & I love them over my 29" deep tank. My corals are really colouring up well under these new bulbs I got from Hidden Reef. Thanks Mike for recommending them.