Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-13-2007, 03:13 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road
Default Converting a lawn mower into a generator.

Well with all of the threats of flooding and potential loss of power, I figured someone had to have come up with a quick and dirty way to generate power with just a few "household" items. And with the amazing power of the internet, I was able to find someone who did

Here's the link: http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Easy enough for anyone to build, and it will do in a pinch.

Enjoy.

Robert
Old 06-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bruno View Post
Well with all of the threats of flooding and potential loss of power, I figured someone had to have come up with a quick and dirty way to generate power with just a few "household" items. And with the amazing power of the internet, I was able to find someone who did

Here's the link: http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Easy enough for anyone to build, and it will do in a pinch.

Enjoy.

Robert
All you need is a working lawnmower, a car altenator, a power inverter and some HD 12V batteries, a v-belt, cast-iron pulley, some lumber, some cables, and some time. Material costs alone make this a loser, even if you already have the lawnmower. emergencypower.com will sell you a 950w gas generator for US$149 + $25 shipping (from Toronto).

I know that economics isn't the point for a DIY project, but...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

True... but if you lost power today, you could be up and running in no time, (assuming you don't mind ripping the battery and alternator out of your car / truck for a few hours). Also, if you have the time, you could pick up the lawnmower on craigslist for a few bucks, a used alternator for cheap ($24.95 at Pick-A-Part in Chilliwack... I'm sure the cost would be close at any local autowrecker), and the remaining parts from Princess Auto.

In a perfect world power would never go out, (and we'd all have enough money for this hobby), but, in a pinch, this would do, (assuming you already have an inverter kicking around) But you are right... it can be bought for close to the same price, (maybe even cheaper), for a better one... But it's one more tool in your toolbox that you can set up in a pinch if need be.

Robert
Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Static is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Static

I'm pretty sure modern 4 cylinder cars would burn almost the same gas per hour as a lawn mower so why not just hook up the inverter to your car?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'm pretty sure modern 4 cylinder cars would burn almost the same gas per hour as a lawn mower so why not just hook up the inverter to your car?
I have a feeling we might have some Hitler tactics coming into play accidentally here if we keep this up :\