Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road
Default A Very Expensive Coral...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/liv...noteworthy.htm

Aussie Acan Hillae
$599.95
Acanthastrea hillae
This ultra rare coral is for the person who only has what others want.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

cool coral...but holy, if it didn't make it...wow that would really suck to say "I had this very cool coral, ultra rare and ultra expensive...and here's the remains"

Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Richy44 is on a distinguished road

Kind of pushing the envelope a little far. Just my opinion. I "think" they are testing the waters for a huge price hike on corals. Not like J&L, just a gut feeling I got when I saw those prices..Jumping on the back of Global warming, reefs endangered etc.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

When i asked them about an Elegance coral for $250 they told me it came from Australia and extra duty/charge was applied. next tank over were same Elegance corals for $49.
I agree this price hike is creasy.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

guys all aussie corals are in this price range. Sure its shocking when you first learn it but when you actually think about it its not as crazy as you think.

The regular indo corals are collected by divers making 17 cents. I have no idea what the aussie guys are making but i know its a lot more then that.

There was a 15 year ban on collection of aussie corals for export this was just lifted. Who knows how many cites they will allow and how long the collection will continue.

Add in the extra freight cost and extremely high demand and you get these prices.

what would you prefer an indo elegance that is 45$ and melts on the way home or within a week or an aussie one you keep for 25 years.

If you have the money for these especially the acan lords its well worth it imo.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusse View Post
guys all aussie corals are in this price range. Sure its shocking when you first learn it but when you actually think about it its not as crazy as you think.

The regular indo corals are collected by divers making 17 cents. I have no idea what the aussie guys are making but i know its a lot more then that.

There was a 15 year ban on collection of aussie corals for export this was just lifted. Who knows how many cites they will allow and how long the collection will continue.

Add in the extra freight cost and extremely high demand and you get these prices.

what would you prefer an indo elegance that is 45$ and melts on the way home or within a week or an aussie one you keep for 25 years.

If you have the money for these especially the acan lords its well worth it imo.

What specifically makes an Aussie elegance coral survive for 25 years more than a run-of-the-mill elegance coral from the Indo-Pacific?

I don't understand what you're saying.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 PM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

Apparently the Aussie Elegance corals are more "bulletproof" than their Indo counterparts. Basically, you won't expect a sudden death syndrome for no reason with the Aussie ones. That is of course, you maintain good parameters, but this goes for any coral.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyreefer View Post
Apparently the Aussie Elegance corals are more "bulletproof" than their Indo counterparts. Basically, you won't expect a sudden death syndrome for no reason with the Aussie ones. That is of course, you maintain good parameters, but this goes for any coral.
That's only true if the store can keep them in separate tanks from the Indo ones. Apparently what ever kills off elegance corals is contagious (or is it infectious? anyway it's catching )

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM

kadaytar is on a distinguished road

What is so special with that 599 bux acan at J&L's site else than being called as rare or being an aussie acan? Yes some of aussie acans have brighter and nicer coloration than indo acans but many of indo acans are nicely colored as well and their pricing is way more reasonable. Is it worth to pay 400-500 bux more for that much coloration differance ? Are the aussie corals aquacultured? I personally don't mind paying more - not crazy amounts though- for color and aquacultured corals but i don't pay more for an avarage looking coral just because it is rare or the wages, taxes, cost of permits and cost of transportation are higher in the country where that coral collected from . What is wrong with nicely colored aquacultured corals? I don't know maybe it is only my taste but i believe i can buy at least 8-10 amazingly colored aquacultured SPS corals for around 600 bux and they will make my tank look way nicer than a 600 bux aussie acan does.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 PM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyreefer View Post
I have wanted an Elegance for a long time but knowing the poor record of survival I have held off. I have also read that the Aussie elegance is more bulletproof, but a couple questions remain. Since shipments from Austrailia are only happening very recently how do we know they are anymore hardy in the long run?. Also I would be surprised if importers/distributors or most retailers keep the Aus corals seperate from any other, thereby continuing to pass on whatever is causing the demise of this coral regardless of it's origin. Hopefully these corals with proper care will have a chance.