Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarium lets shark go after 137 days in captivity

I love happy endings.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...G5NNJJ4J33.DTL

I dream of letting go of my porcupine puffer, back to the big sea. Just cause he's been with me so long. If only they would let me on the plane with him and I knew where he actually came from. I wouldn't feel so bad about the hobby if you could keep them for a few months and feel good bringing them back to the ocean where they belong. *sigh*

Reading ads claiming in 2037 there will be no fish in the ocean. Hope that never happens.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one that feels guilt some days for keeping our creature friends captive?

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 04-14-2007, 04:32 PM

crusty1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

cool post thanks!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Reefhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Reefhawk1

I feel guilt some days as well. knowing that the residents in my aquarium came from the ocean and had been taken away from the reef they lived in. I would love to pack them in containers and take a flight to their origin to release them. But since I cant I will have to care for them as best I can

Cool link by the way
Old 04-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

Hopefully before 2037, The government's of the world will have programs out there to let us restock the ocean with captive bred fish and aquacultures corals.
It's sad that there already are guys out there that have things in there tank that are extinct or endangered,
Yet theres no way they can use that to help restock the ocean
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

I think even if we stop burning fossil fuels right now,global warming will get worse before getting better.I think all the reefs will be dead along with the rainforests and anything else closer to the equator.I feel we can only hope the fish and corals will be able to migrate and repopulate at more northern latitudes.Everything on land and in the sea will have to move north or face extinction....I know,I have a bleek outlook what can I say Im a hippy tree hugger sort of
Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

65 million years ago when the dinos died the acidity in the sea went up. That's why so much marine life died then. The acidity in the sea RIGHT NOW is rising. this is a phenomenon we are all quite familiar with in our tanks. too much dissolved CO2 in the water make pH rise and our tanks are nuked. That's what is happening now in the oceans. Unfortunately I don't think there is much we can do about it because even if we stop burning fossil fuels there will still be too much CO2 in the atmosphere. the effects of acidification will only recede once the CO2 in the atmosphere is used up or removed on a scale that is currently not feasible.

so my outlook is bleak. I am quite convinced we are on the verge of a mass extinction... the first to be caused by a single species and not environmental factors. Do i think humans will die out? no. we are too capable of adapting. i just hope we learn our lesson this time. Do i think all marine life will be extinguished? or terrestrial life for that matter? nope. didn't happen in the last few mass extinctions, why now? but a LOT will go extinct. and the blame is on us. *shrug* it's time to act.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:47 PM

saltaddict is on a distinguished road
Default letting fish go

I think the swimming room in the ocean for our fish would be great, however I would worry about them getting hurt and them finding food. My fat fish would miss their regular feedings -Laurie