Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 PM

hqgc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to watch for that effect. It could be happening for me. But it's hard to say. Usually the skimmer works better after I've emptied and cleaned the cup, which could be explained by the crud preventing the foam from spilling over, but then I usually give the venturi a quick clean as well at the same time so it's hard to say, maybe the better initial performance is because of that instead.

Interestingly this last week I've gotten a half cup full of skimmate. It hasn't performed so well in months. Maybe it's heard me talking about the mods I'm going to make on it and it's trying to shape up

Honestly I do find that the venturi is very sensitive. Just a quick poke through with a nail is all I do at cleaning time, takes basically 10 seconds and it ensures there is no blockage starting. Give that a try maybe?
The venturi.... is that part where you hook the air tubing?
I think I will start threatening mine with some mods as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yep .. that's the part. I slip the tubing off, take a nail and push it into the hole, wiggle it back and forth a few times and replace the tube. It's a bit of a pain because it's really tight in my sump but it seems to be worth the effort.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Must have something to do with either the Ca levels are where kalk or reactor effluent is added.

Never had a blockage in the year+ my G3 has been up and the only maintenance I do on mine is to dump and rinse the cup and then every few months take the skimmer out of the sump and hose out the skimmer body and run some water through the airline.