Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

If you "T" off the intake of your closed loop then each end of the "T" will have less preasure draw. His will help with the sand issue. It's not pretty but it works. Also I had Paul @ OM mod my drum so that the drum was full width on the edges but in the middle it is about 2mm narrower. this way sand passes freely through the unit. I havn't needed to pull my OM 4-way appart in 8 or 9 months.

J
Old 03-17-2007, 06:08 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
If you "T" off the intake of your closed loop then each end of the "T" will have less preasure draw. His will help with the sand issue. It's not pretty but it works. Also I had Paul @ OM mod my drum so that the drum was full width on the edges but in the middle it is about 2mm narrower. this way sand passes freely through the unit. I havn't needed to pull my OM 4-way apart in 8 or 9 months.

J
I had heard that you had some trouble with sand in your four ways...but never heard your solution. Here's a reason to take your 4-way apart...so you can show me a photo! I'm imagining the drum as a concave shape....From the side, it looks like ")("....?

I had been thinking about the "T" on the intakes...That would really increase the amount of plumbing in the tank. If it all can be hidden behind the rocks, it might be OK.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Ya Mine looks like crap but it is nesessary

your right the drum looks like ")(" and works really well. What version are you running? I might have a spare

J
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
What version are you running? I might have a spare

J
They are version 3's.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 AM

With not too much else to look at in the tank, I've been entertained by the two mantis. One larger, red one...and one smaller green one. (same species, I'm sure). Just as I began to think they might actually enjoy each other's company, there was a big snapping tussle and the smaller one took off out of the rock like a shot! No harm seems to have been done....this time.

They still share the same rock. (they don't have any choice, but it is a pretty large rock with lots of holes) It would seem that occasionally they end up in the same place at the same time....

This is the larger of the two. I suppose the most interesting thing about this picture is that it is taken through 1" plexi and 6 feet of water. You can also see a large orange tunicate that probably isn't going to make it...

Killing time, waiting for cycle to complete....

Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 AM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

I don't know about having all the mantises that you think in the tank. Best get rid of a few while you can still catch them.

And I have just the home for big red there.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

You'll probably get a few more with the new shipment of LR too. My bet is that there will be a few deaths. A researcher on these guys said that although mantids can live together sometimes in the wild, they're usually different more docile species. N. wennerae are just too aggressive. Still, a couple might decide to live with eachother with only a few ritualised tussles.