Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

krylons proven itself to be safe in reef tanks... there are hundreds of tanks out there with significant amounts of painted material... Including mine; never had unexplainable deaths (fish or coral).

I notice most of those carcinogens etc are part of the propellant & thinners (things which once dry are gone). MSDS requires some skill in interpreting - doesn't tell you everything. Should we dig out the MSDS on de-ionized water - I've got a copy at work!
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.

Last edited by AndyL; 03-14-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

tell us about your tank. dimensions, filtration, livestock, powereheads, heaters? parameters, livestock, LR, sand?

Are the fish you're trying out just the kind of fish that don't do well, like moorish idols?

yeah i agree that the foam might definitely be a cause.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Black Phantom is on a distinguished road

Scary - the foam back was the thread I started. I think I'll stick with the natural look.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

there was one guy who said he worked with the expanding foam a lot and he recommended using it only as a mold. So get the shape you want, cover it in resin/sand, w/e and then remove the foam because over time it degrades. I wouldn't want that myself. but hey i got no experience with the stuff, this is just someone elses opinion.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:47 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

Wow what a response.....

first off... it is only the new fish that seem to have issues and not all of them... I had a school of chromises gradualy dissapear but that seems to be the way with chromises

I did a bunch of research on the foam and Krylon method and there are a number of people who are doing this without a problem The major issue seems to be letting things cure. My backdrop sat for at least a month before being added.

I have lost these fish within 24 hrs
In all cases they were eating and swiming around fine one day and gone the next. I only ever found 1 body

1 - flame angel
2 - fox faces

I had a single clown fish that is doing fine and have added a second clown that seems to be doing well

I also lost a wrasse that I added but I suspect he jumped as when I first was setting up he made the journy down to my sump and lived there for at least 6 months untill I found him....he then lasted another 2-3 months in the tank so I don't count him as one of the "mistry" deaths.

I have had all of this rock for quite a while so I doubt that it is a mantis...I have not heard any clicking either.

Zoos and other corals seem to do ok....almost lost some stuff when my calcium & alk got out of whack and due to heat but other than that things seem fine
Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I would agree with a previous post about checking your oxygen levels. My tank is established and has been running for a number of years. All of a sudden one morning I had a dead pygmy angel and a tang in distress. The tang recovered later in the morning after the lights had been on a while. I had repositioned a power head a few days earlier and the circulation at night had changed with not as much flow at the surface.

As the corals have grown larger, they are now requiring more oxygen at night for respiration leaving less for the fish. By altering the flow there was now too little for the fish. I think Angels are particularly sensitve to oxygen levels. The only way I was able to figure this out was seeing the Tang recover. If they hide in the rockwork, you will never see them in distress and may never find their bodies.

Adjusting the powerhead to ensure surface agitation at night solved the problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Black Phantom is on a distinguished road

One more thing I just thought of. You never did post if you checked your RO system.
A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to all of his new fish. Turned out he was buying RO water from the store and they hadn't changed their filters in a long long long time.
As soon as he bought his own RO system everything was fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Black Phantom hit upon an excellent point and I can say from experience, test kits go bad. Take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them test it, then compare what they say to your readings...
Dumping fish into a tank is one way to deal with fish that have been shipped over long distances and time. The theory is, the water they are shipped in will have massive amounts of ammonia, however the pH will be very low due to lot's of CO2 in the water so the ammonia may actually be in the form of non toxic ammonium. However, as soon as you start adding tank water the buffers, O2 etc will quickly raise the pH and the ammonium will change to toxic ammonia. They figure the change in water chemistry will be less stressful on the fish than dealing with the ammonia.
If you aren't finding bodies I figure something is eating them, any green brittle stars? Keep us posted as you find things out.

Doug