Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you're hanging in there Deb

In the four years we've lived in our condo, we've pretty much had three tanks of various sizes going. Last summer, when we decided we were spending too much time on them, we downsized to only one tank. It was a hard decision to make, but we're happier with just the one. Husband helps significantly every Saturday morning during tank maintenance. I couldn't do the job without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Bev: Sounds like you've got a diatom issue (the brown slime). Good luck! If you're rearranging (removing and replacing) rock that often, is it possible you've given your wrasse a bump or a bruise? It'll probably forgive you soon.
Matt,

Googled diatoms and had a look as some pics. Diatoms look darker than what I have, though maybe I just have the early stages of it. My stuff is a yellow ochre colour rather than brown, and it's located in lower flow areas. It wipes off pretty easy too, especially if the rock is out of the tank. This is also a well established tank, with rock from tanks we've had for as long as three years. Will have a look at our RODI system to see if any filters need changing.

Hmm... Wonder if the wrasse did get bruised during valonia removal? However, his behaviour started after we took down the right side of the tank - the side he still inhabits with ease. I imagine, though, that if he were injured, he wouldn't be swimming all that well. Will keep a close eye on him for awhile.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hey Deb,
I think most of us long timers have been there, although I know thats no help for your tanks. Sometimes it just makes one want to bang their head on a wall. But we keep going, I guess because its such an enjoyable hobby when alls well, esp. for those of us that love pets/friends, which I know you do.

Passing on the flatworm fight may be fine for now, as they can be siphoned during water changes, increased current and getting them to that honkin skimmer you run. I would not, IMO, pass on getting after the aiptasia. Once they become plague like, its almost impossible to rid them.

Many use the peppermint shrimps and kalk the larger ones that you can reach. I had great success with my copperband but as most fish they can be 50/50 on their desire to eat them. We had good luck adding a small copperband to an established 180 with some larger fish, that would not allow the introduction of a medium sized copperband.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

The past 8 months have been hell for my tank as well.. a mysterious die off of my sps. Not even RTN, just a fast colour loss and then eventual death. Luckily all my caps have recovered, almost to pre-die off stage. I had a huge algae problem I finaly got under control with my Rabbitfish.. god I love him .... now I have the small valonia.. which I grabbed some Emerald crabs for.. I tried them out in a small tank with a huge chunk of valonia and they went crazy for it, so I hope they work ... Otherwise, things are finally starting to get back to normal.

With going to school full time and work, its been tough to keep the tank maintenance, I basicly set a timer for 1 hr and just power through water changes etc..

Good luck

Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Jim Barry is on a distinguished road

Deb,

I know your heartache......we have shared our frustrations over the years, but somehow we keep going. I think somewhere deep inside... we all want to have a tank like Snappy's... that is why we keep going.

I have finally found the secret (I hope). After 5 months on ZeoVit, my tank has never looked better. bright colors on my SPS, no hair algae, excellent polyp extension and fantastic water clarity.

Before you throw in the towel....... try Zeovit... you will be sooo glad that you did !!

Deb ....come on over and see my tank !!

http://www.zeovit.com/modules.php?name=Jig
Old 02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

BUt Zeo costs lots of money thou
Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Zeovit cost is quite high in the initial startup. Once it is established, the cost is considerably less. Currently It is costing me about $50.00 per month.

It is the best $50.00 a month I can spend..... My corals are healthy and growing like crazy and my death rate is practically zero.

I was losing corals before due to water conditions, so for me it has been a great investment.

ZeoVit may not be for everyone......but if you are frustrated and having trouble with your tank, it could be the best money you spend.....

Trust me.... I have thrown a lot of money at this hobby.

Jim
Old 02-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Smile

Deb,

Sorry to hijack your thread !!!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barry View Post
Deb,
I know your heartache......we have shared our frustrations over the years, but somehow we keep going. I think somewhere deep inside... we all want to have a tank like Snappy's... that is why we keep going.

Jim,
Thank you for your very kind & generous remarks.

Deb as I mentioned before in this thread if I can be of help in any way please let me know. I am with Jim on the zeovit, or at least the bacteria and amino acids concept. I am personally using the Polyp-Labs "Reef-Fresh" program with positive results, which includes their online support. It give a similar result like the zeovit but doesn't deplete the potassium which is absorbed into the zeolite minerals. The monthly cost is about the same except no reactor needed so a smaller start up. Whichever one of the programs of this nature you go with it will make a positive impact on your system's health. My adding in a large refugium also really helped my algae issues.
Good luck and all the best,

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 02-26-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Zeovit doesn't absorb potassium. That's a myth that surrounds the whole zeolith process. Just to clarify, at super low nutrient levels, elements like potassium and other trace products become very important.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Just to get this back on track a bit, I am not having any real problems with the SPS tank. Just a few flatworms and aiptasias....So I don't have any real need for Zeowhatever at the moment...

It's the FOWLR that is in the most trouble. The pump still couldn't be installed this weekend but we got some good advice and should be on track for Wednesday.