Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Fish is on a distinguished road
Default How do aptaisia spread?

I am afraid that I already know the answer to this, but is there any way to keep aptaisia in the sump without them spreading to the display?

I got the idea from Paul who said that Calfo cited them as being great for nutrient export. I know that there are a lot of safer ways of going about it (chaeto for example), but Tim has already told me that he would sell my old mantis shrimp, Ike, back to me when I was ready. The idea of having Ike in the sump with a forest of aptaisia appeals to me. Kind of like the H.G. Wells story 'The Time Machine', with the Elio and Morlocks - a beautiful and peaceful world up top, and a dark and scary world down below.
I first got my mantis shrimp back when they were viewed as being "reef tank enemy #1"; however, it turned out to be the most rewarding animal I have ever kept. They really have come in fashion now and the number of stomatopod owners has gone through the roof.

I don't think that aptaisia will ever gain in popularity, but just in case, would you mind calling them glass anemones instead? Sounds nicer ( :

- Chad.

Even if it isn't safe to share the water supply, I am considering setting up a seperate tank dedicated to "unwanteds" - Aptaisia, flatworms, bristleworms, with the mantis shrimp ruling over them all.

Last edited by Fish; 11-05-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:21 PM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Run a UV on your return?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 PM

That's not a bad idea....
I never even thought of that, thanks.

- Chad
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 PM

safety4fire is on a distinguished road
Default I use UV

And it does not work for me, I tried Joes Juice, all it does is turn them a white color and they keep living. I think I will try injecting them with lemon juice as suggested by Cam. Will let you know.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:40 PM

Good to know. I've been pretty lucky. In my whole time in this hobby I've only had two aptaisia (on the same coral I bought). To get rid of mine I heated up a glass of water in the microwave, took the rock out of the tank, and used a syringe to baste the infected area with super hot water. I did that for about a minute and the rock was hot to the touch when I put it back in. The blastos closest to the treated area looked 'unhappy' for a while, but the aptaisia was never seen again.

- Chad
Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 AM

JSTR is on a distinguished road

Hey Chad,

This is quoted directly from Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation. Volume one, Version 1.0. Page39.

Quote:
Aquarists who have had experience with plague populations of "aiptasia" (glass anemones) might begin reading this section in shock, horror and disbelief. Nonetheless, Aiptasia anemones are decidedly useful and voracious filter feeders that can be employed in living "scrubbers" to filter particulate and nutrient rich water. They are especially helpful in systems with frequent feedings of prepared or suspended foods. Such systems include, but are not limited to: large fish populations, brine shrimp and rotifer drips, regular feeding of mixed frozen food, and just plain, overfed fish and invertebrate systems. From a commercial point of view, the deliberate culture or containment of the nuissance organisms can serve a greater good in special circumstances such as with coincident Berghia nudibranch breeding programs and fish training for predation on the anemones in other display aquaria can be problematic as they compete for food and space with featured animals and may injure other invertebrates with their stinging tentacles. In a remote downstream vessel, however, they may perform as an efficient, living, mechanical filter.

For Aquarists with plague populations, however, it bears mentioning that Aiptasia indeed are not autotrophic animals and will not grow out of thin air any more than desirable coral species will. Aquarists who have an abundance of Aiptasia anemones in invertebrate displays need to take a closer look at the husbandry technique(s) that allowed the unwanted population to blossom. In most cases, the causative agent was overfeeding or inappropriate feeding techniques (such as frequent passage of thawed packing juice from frozen foodsinto the aquarium... Generally a poor technique when unmonitored). Harnessed, though, glass anemones scrubbing trays or aquaria ate to be used in a grossly similar fashion that algae scrubbing trays are, and for a similar purpose. Raw, nutrient and particle-laden water (ideally from the display overflow on a downstream path for treatment) is fed to an actively cultured colony of Aiptasia. While properly fed and illuminated Aiptasia need little encouragement to propagate, accelerated growth can be achieved by simple laceration of the pedal disc. The proliflc anemones will harvest nutrients quickly and effectively with their numerous grabbing "hands" (the thousands of tentacles in a colony). They are suberb mechanical filters that can be concurrently farmed for food in Berghia nudibranch culture projects.

Some aquarists even use the Aiptasia fields to train certain butterflyfish species to selectively eat glass anemones. The trained fish are then distributed to displays in need of "reef safe" Aiptasia control. The application of deliberately cultured Aiptasia can be multi-faceted and create revenue opportunities for the numerous aquarists desiring to control plgue anemones. And so, love them or hate them, the hungry, fast growing Aiptasia anemones are a boon or plague depending on your perspective and vision. They say thet when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. I don't recommend puree of Aiptasia with sugar over ice, though.
Its not conclusive but its an idea for those wanting to take the plunge.

HTH
Paul
Old 11-06-2006, 03:32 AM

Thanks for posting that Paul, that's some cool stuff!
Maybe if I chicken out, someone else will come across it here and give it a shot... hope so.

- Chad
Old 11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I think aptasia can swim around in the water column.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:45 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I've got my sump in the basement up on a stand and it's almost a second display for me. Thinking of using aptasia as a filter after reading Calfo and watching the sump video, but neither one really deals with keeping them out of the display so never did. http://http://www.reefvideos.com/ree...4_content.html

I've got them now in the display anyway and not much luck in eradicating them, would really be hesitant to add them to a system if not already there.

As for UV units, never used them, are they designed to handle something like aptasia?