Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 10-31-2006, 04:50 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

thanks for the heads up
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 PM

Nyxis is on a distinguished road

Just a warning to everyone. I do not think the peppermints at Oceans are Lysmata wurdemanni. Judging from their zoo picking frogspawn eating ways and the article linked below I beleive them to be Lysmata rathbunae.

Link
Old 11-03-2006, 03:04 PM

tranvictor is on a distinguished road

Really????

I hope not, I got a pair of them in with my softies now. I never looked really close, but they did clean up a lot of my aptaisia (but i starved them first). I'll check when I get home if they ate any of my zoos.

vic
Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

If anyone's still looking for peppermints, I have a few left. PM me for pricing.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:55 AM

OAcalgary is on a distinguished road

i have read the articles suggested, and search related articles about the 2 species. The article that was pointed out by the fellow reefer basically suggest 2 things:

1. they both MIGHT consume corals

2. the Lysmata rathbunae.will not consume Aiptasia, but Lysmata wurdemanni will.

couple things to note:

1. As other reefer pointed out, the shrimp purchased from Ocean did consume the pest Aiptasia....

2. As other articles i have read and my personal experience suggests, they ALL are oppotunisitic coralivores, given weakness in ANY corals, shrimps might worsen or eventually destroy/consume a weak/damaged corals.

3. As far as we know, the peppermint shrimps in Ocean City are not and were not at the same tank as the corals...

At this point in time, if we all believe the author from the article that was pointed out, Since the shrimp DID consume Aiptasia, the species in our store might even be Lysmata wurdemanni.

From our wholesale sources scientific names of shrimps are rarely provided, and if scientific name is supplied, the possibility of obtaining the wrong livestocks are huge. We are still ID-ing whether or not we are supplied by Lysmata Rathbunae. we hope to bring all of you an update of our findings.

I am sure other stores in calgary are prudent and wise by carrying enough livestocks for all of the Calgary reefers. we thank you for all of your business and value all of your opinions.

Opinions and personal experience/accounts are good to listen to, but they are not ALWAYS where the truth lies.

and last, please do not use this thread as a flame war of Calgary LFS's. we value only constructive opinions to this topic only.

Ocean City.