Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 AM

pandafishowner is on a distinguished road
Default pleco question...

In March I bought a pleco from a lfs here in Calgary. When I bought him he was 3 inches long. Right this second he is still 3 inches long. To the best of my knowledge he is a common pleco, not one of the kinds that stays shorter. He gets a good meal of cucmber, zuchinni, algae wafers, blood worms, brine shrimp, sinking pellets, etc. He devours all this food and yet he isn't growing. My cousin bought a 4 inch pleco back in December that is now 8 inches long. I have my pleco in a 29 gallon tank. I'm just wondering if there's a reason that my pleco isn't growing at all?

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Current occupants are cardinal tetras and ameca splendons
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Don't knock it. I've had these common plecos grow to 14+ inches in the past & that's too big even for the 110g tanks they were in. If it's eating & healthy, then staying small is a bonus.

Anthony
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM

jvision is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jvision Send a message via Yahoo to jvision

How's the tank maintenance? WCs go a long way in helping young fish grow. FW is not expensive to change like SW, so a 25-50% WC/week is not too much.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:51 PM

I add water daily due to evaporation and I do weekly water changes of approx 5-8 gallons (I use a 5gallon bucket twice but don't fill it all the way because it gets heavy lugging from one room to the next).

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:31 AM

doublette is on a distinguished road

I would venture to say it's the size of tank he is in. I've been in a similar situation as you, two plecos bought at the same time, at the same size yet the one who was in the larger tank grew at a much faster rate. Just my experience...
Debbie
Old 10-03-2006, 02:42 PM

odd little creatures thanks.

thought maybe mine was just weird. my cousin's pleco is in a 33 gallon tank so there isn't much difference in tank size.

10g FW tank with...