Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-19-2006, 02:46 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roclimber
In addition to "Disabling Wireless Network ID" or "not broadcasting Network ID", setup WEP or WPA, password. Another thing you should do is set up MAC filter on your Wireless router. With that, only the machine with the correct MAC address can access your wireless network.
Sniffing for and cloning a MAC address takes about 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roclimber
WEP 128 encryption is good but given time, it can still be decrypted with a computer running Linux.
You can do this with just about anything including a wifi enabled cellphone or PDA if you are so inclined and WAP isn't much better. He also using a 4 year old laptop that probably doesn't support WAP.

There is no way to really secure a wireless access point, the only saving grace is that nobody really cares enough about reading the emails you send to grandma to bother with it.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 AM

DocReefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DocReefer
Default My Dlink is working fine.

Been using the D-Link 624 for the past 6 months. No issues with it had to reset it once after a bad thunderstorm. Pretty stable otherwise. Using WEP encription. Only thing that bothered it was a 2.4 MHz cordless phone. After I switched to a 5.8 MHz phone, no issues now. I highly recommend the D-Link for the price.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter
Sniffing for and cloning a MAC address takes about 15 seconds.

You can do this with just about anything including a wifi enabled cellphone or PDA if you are so inclined and WAP isn't much better. He also using a 4 year old laptop that probably doesn't support WAP.

There is no way to really secure a wireless access point, the only saving grace is that nobody really cares enough about reading the emails you send to grandma to bother with it.
I use my computer for online banking and a whole bunch of other stuff I would want protected.

In the process of trying to set everything up right now.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:52 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Well, success at last (for now)

Setup the firewall. Using WPA with 128(?) bit encription.

Just my connection isn't all that great... but I think that's because I switced it from turbo, to normal... the only reason I did that was so I could change the channel it's set on from 6 to 11 (phone runs on same channel, have 3 - 2.4ghz phones in the house one on each level)

Anywhoo, thanks everyone... you've been so much help so far, given me a much better understanding on how things work. Really appreciate that.

I'm sure there will be more posts to come. Again, thanks!