Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Oh and yes I have been to McBain to try out all the above cameras, except for the oly 500.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:48 AM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy

Try the oly, i shoot in pitch black, extreme low light, just for fun, but all the pic's turn out crisp and clear, IS is a novelty, I think its just a new digital technology that everyone say's they can't live without...what did they do before? they used tripods, something you'll be probaly buying anyways. Oly and the 4:3rds systems are'nt going anywhere. Go try the oly, see how you like it. Also what does everyone have for camera bags? This is gonna be my next purchase, needs to be able to stand some abuse (gonna be traveling for a couple of years) lowepro make some sweet models, what does everyone have?

tb

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:56 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Shadowboy, I have the Tamrac Trekker 6 ... got it used for $75 on eBay in brand new shape... holds EVERYTHING, including a small laptop. Easy to customize, lots of flaps & pockets for batteries, cables, memory cards, lens cleaning supplies, you name it... I have 5 lenses (2 large lenses), a flash, macro tubes and an extender, and a body, and could fit more, and it's a fairly hefty but packable 40 or so pound backpack. Oh it will carry your tripod too...

Now I don't pack that thing around everywhere, so when I bought my battery grip, I bought a kit that actually comes with a Lowepro shoulder bag for the 20D. It can hold the camera with a lens, an extra lens or two depending on how big they are, and a flash along with compartments for other small accessories. The bonus for this one is it's lightweight and has an ergonomic carrying strap along with a fairly quick holster style space to put your camera.

Rory - listen man... I kinda get an idea of what you want to do, and just based on the amount of time you have considered your purchase and the careful questions you have asked, we can all tell this isn't an "impulse" buy. For that reason, don't go anything less than either Canon or Nikon DSLR's, you won't regret either... again just because I have a Canon doesn't mean I want you to buy a Canon, I've already stated earlier in this thread why I made my own decision so I won't go into that again but I do have some advice on the 18-200 VR in particular...

Go to Fred Miranda or DPReview and read up on the general consensus about "10X" zooms... I would tend to go with a 5x or less zoom combination along with a couple of cheap primes for tack sharp images. Then you have some shooting versatility along with some ability to take high quality images. Remember IS/VR or whatever doesn't do anything for you for moving subjects in less than favourable light... actual shutter speed is the best solution for sharp images, and this lens is pretty slow. At 18mm f3.5 will be fine, but by the time you zoom out to 150 you are at a max aperature of 4.5 - 5, and up to 300 you are at 5.6. You lose image quality at widest and longest, your autofocus will hunt, and you will be challenged to get fast enough shutter speeds to get the image quality you want.
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:31 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Good advice guys, thanks again for all the help.

I do want to go try out the oly at the camera store to see how it feels.

I am thinking about the 18-200 VR specifically for my ocean kayaking trip to photograph whales and other animals where the boat will be moving, and it would be nice to not have to change lenses at all in the boat, I'm going to be scared enough just bringing the camera in a dry bag let alone changing lenses.

I have read every review of the 18-200 and I know its not going to be fast in the telephoto end, but I think it would make a great walk-about lense.

The alternative is 2 canon IS lenses which cost a fair bit more but I still might go that route, especially because the 18-200 is so hard to find, I might not even find a vendor who can get me one before my trip!

Old 07-23-2006, 06:24 PM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy

Don't forget you have to shell out an extra 100$ bucks for raw proceesing software with the nikons, so work that into your budget

tb

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.