Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-20-2006, 03:06 AM

vertex is on a distinguished road

I've been feeding more like 1-2 inches square per day, not anywhere near a full sheet!! That is crazy, I had no idea they would eat that much!

So, mine is for a 6 inch naso tang, 4 inch yellow and 3 inch yellow tang. And of course the lawnmower. Now, they also get some flake, NLS pellets, mysis and they have all been doing fine for a couple of months. I guess I will try to feed them a little more nori then...

I problem I have, is the second the nori touches the water, there is a feeing frenzy and the floaters usually all get sucked through the sump so that is why I don't feed very much. Do your fish actually graze on the nori throughout the day or just devour it instantly??
Live Rock -
These tanks have some purchased liverock, but mostly home made live rock
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

You are doing just fine, Phreezee
Good to see you feed your tangs 3 times a day as they are grazers and eat all the time in the wild.
If you want to vary the veggies, I would suggest Wardley spirulina discs rather that a flake food (unless it is spirulina).
The discs are hard and they fall to bottom of the tank.
Tangs love them
Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Naesco where do you get the discs from. I feed a half sheet in the morning and another half in the evening. On the weekends when I am home I will quite often feed another half sheet around 2pm. My fish go crazy and it is all gone in about 2 minutes. The rest of the day is spent picking any algea that has the nerve to show itself off rocks, glass etc. I assume they are getting something but there is no algea visible in that tank.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Wow, this thread opened up my eyes... never knew reefers feed whole sheets in a day either

Thanks for the tip about the phosphates Naesco.

Ruth, my Naso doesn't seem to eat much shrimp either, he'll eat a bit but prefers the nori.

Vertex, I get the same feeding frenzy
Old 06-20-2006, 08:16 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Wardley is often in the FW section of your LFS. Another good one is the OSI nibblers...fish crack. They stick on the glass.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex
I've been feeding more like 1-2 inches square per day, not anywhere near a full sheet!! That is crazy, I had no idea they would eat that much!

So, mine is for a 6 inch naso tang, 4 inch yellow and 3 inch yellow tang. And of course the lawnmower. Now, they also get some flake, NLS pellets, mysis and they have all been doing fine for a couple of months. I guess I will try to feed them a little more nori then...

I problem I have, is the second the nori touches the water, there is a feeing frenzy and the floaters usually all get sucked through the sump so that is why I don't feed very much. Do your fish actually graze on the nori throughout the day or just devour it instantly??

Wow thats not very much at all, I feed 3 sheets daily, I have a Regal tang, yellow tang, redsea sailfin tang, Niger trigger, Fox face, and a pygme angle...these are the fishthat just devour it, and leave a little bit left over to grace on later!!!

Kevin
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I only have one yellow tang that eats the nori, so I just feed a piece 2" x 3" once daily. Old yeller is doing quite well on that portion.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:07 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
Really? Is there any evidence of that?
Tons of it actually - Tangs have the long digestive tract necessary to consume veggies and though will heartily eat lots of protein rich and fatty foods, (mysis, brine, cyclopeze etc..), they will wither and waste without their required fibre. Normal established reef aquaria will provide most of the algae these guys require to graze upon unless you have too many grazers... considering the algae problems I've been having lately, I've considered cramming 50 tangs into my 135.... whaddy'all think?
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nori is really all your Tangs need to fulfill their dietary needs.
What I am questioning is the fact that sheets of Nori are all that Tangs need. It might be true that they can survive on just Nori, but I doubt that is all they eat in nature. I suppliment with macro algae from my fuge, bubble calurpa and chaeto.

Last edited by TheReefGeek; 06-20-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:08 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

My tangs use to put back 4 full sheets per day in my 170 gal. that was with 4 tangs a koran bi color ,flame , and 2 orange line chromis.