Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-22-2006, 06:00 PM

dufferdan is on a distinguished road

Moving the rockwork around could have caused this problem, yes. If your sand bed was badly disturbed you would have released lots of nasty stuff into the water.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

That is my guess, which is why I reccomend water changes and carbon.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

What do you mean by ammonia and nitrates "almost" undetectable? If you are getting ammonia readings then your tank is going through a cycle and is probably caused by moving your rockwork and disturbing the sand bed. Water changes and running carbon will definately help in that case. OTOH if it is something with your salt mix or source water then you are only going to make things worse. Running carbon definately won't hurt and if possible try running it in a canister filter of some kind and change every day for a week or so. You really need to get some test kits and also post what actual reading you are getting for ammonia etc.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 PM

hawaiiguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I didn't think I'd get such a great response! So, I'll change about 30% of the water when I get home tonight and do a bunch of testing.
Dufferdan, I've been trying to catch my bicolour for a few days now... Sometimes I can flush her out of the rocks, but she still has enough energy for a fast break back in! And yes, she does have a patchy spot at the top of her head just in front of her dorsal fin. It's not a growth or anything, she's just lost her colour there. Its not her regular vibrant yellow, it's a dull whitish yellow colour.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:17 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Test the new water you mix up before adding it to your tank to make sure that is not the problem.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Right, I'll test the new water too... The salt mix I'm using is RedSea (I've been using RedSea since I started) and the water is RO/DI.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 PM

...and I'll run carbon. I don't have a canister filter (used to but I sold it) but I have a HOB filter so I'll use that.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM

dufferdan is on a distinguished road

I think your Angel has Ick. It could have been brought on by the stress from the water conditions. You will need to treat this fish and probably your others as well. Do some research on the symptoms of ick and treatments. Hyposalinity or copper. Don't treat the fish in your display tank.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:42 AM

ok here are the parameters:

pH: 8.4
nitrate: 10 mg/L
phosphate: 0.5 mg/L
ammonia: 0.05 mg/L
KH: 160 mg/L
salinity: 1.024

no one here carries Ca test kits... I'm going to have to wait until I head up to Calgary to get one. After dinner I'll measure the new water that I make for a water change.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 AM

DEAD_BY_DAWN is on a distinguished road

i think from the fact that you have any ammonia in your tank,and i would assume some nitrite that there is a cycle going on,the best thing you can do is remove all fish and inverts till it is finished,then slowly start putting them back in,i have personaly found that doing as you said massive water changes can cause more harm than good if you are shifting from one extreme to another,testing you cal level is not super important at this point ether from what you have listed for corals etc,you dont seem to have any stony corals so i would take a guess and say that you cal level will be high,and finally for the cyano covering your tank this should dissaper when things return to normal ie low nutirents if not them chemi clean will kick its ass within twenty four hours..good luck things should work out fine with a little bit more time ..john

Last edited by DEAD_BY_DAWN; 04-23-2006 at 06:14 AM.