Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

All this bad stuff about XM makes me think I figured out why Kia is giving anyone who test drives one of their cars a free XM receiver and 2 months free service.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:20 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

We have Sirius radio....EXCELLENT radio system! I would highly recommend it...pay about 14 per month but you get offers on second systems for 1/2 the monthly subscription fees and stuff like that. Pretty good deal!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 AM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

i have had xm since it launched in canada, i basically only listen to o&a while driving around. i broke my antenna a month ago so i haven’t used the service at all. i also can't get a replacement antenna in canada for some damn reason. i finally flipped out on xm and called them to let them know what i thought of their replacement parts deal with delphi and they told me to order an antenna from the states and they would reimburse me the cost of the antenna, shipping, duty and tax.. i think they were just hoping by the end of the conversion i wouldn’t end up at their office looking for a place to insert my broken antenna.

apart from that i love xm

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:22 AM

Beermaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Beermaster

I guess what i dont understand is, that your paying $14 a month to listen to music? personally it doesnt make any sence to me. there are radio stations that provide the music for free. Okay but you say "these are commercial free" and "I can listen to the radio in remote areas" well thats what a cd/mp3 player is for, personally i dont think i have ever loss a signal to my cd player out in the bush
Old 04-19-2006, 02:28 AM

fortheloveofcrabs is on a distinguished road
Default The CRTC and why they did what they did...

Hey all,

I hope I can shed some light on a misconception... The channel line up in Canada is the way it is (20% CDN content) for a very good reason that actually affects every one of us. It is NOT to support CBC radio - specifically.

The reason this was done is because the American XM and Sirius line ups have 0% CDN programming, so the CDN programming exposure is, obviously, 0%. Now, here is a little background first:

!!!WARNING HISTORICAL INFORMATION!!!

American business are known for 'crushing' Canadian business in Canada, so our government, with Canada in their minds, realized this and decided to protect them. We've seen this several times. Anyone ever have an AT&T cell phone? Ever wonder why you get a Rogers Wireless bill now? CRTC. AT&T was a big American carrier. They then merged with Rogers, and finally were forced to leave all together. Notice that StarChoice and ExpressVu are Canadian ONLY sat providers? American sat providers are not allowed in Canada because the competition would be 'fair'. This is done to protect Candaian business. If Dish-network was in Canada, the channels on it would be 100% American, none CDN. This a HUGH problem - not just for SC and ExV - for any CDN business that want's commercials.

So, when Sirius and XM wanted to come to Canada, there was a lot of debate (which is why it took so long) As there are no CDN sat radio providers, and there was a hugh demand, the CRTC wanted to let them in, but what about are businesses? That's where the 20% CND programming comes in to play!

It has NOTHING to do with controlling sex or profanity!!

That said, get Sirius !

Hope this helps...

Have a good one!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Phaythe is on a distinguished road

I've Sirius and am loving it!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosnow
I've got XM in my truck and I love it, I havnt listened to a cd or the radio since i've got it, if anyones been thinking about it, its Definatly worth checking out!
I just cannnot fathom paying for radio...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 PM

prosnow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to prosnow

well if you ever do any roadtrips, and you know how bad it gets listening to the same music the wholeeeeeeeee time, satelliet radio is where its at, no changing cds, just flip the channel and theres always something you havnt heard for a long time on, mine also has a setting where i can select certain bands/groups, so that when they come on any station it beeps and lets me see what song there playing so i can switch right over to that if i want, great feature,
Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdued
lemme know when you find opie and anthony on terrestrial radio and i'll cancel my subscription!

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-20-2006, 04:01 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdued
Well for you city slickers it may be no big deal but for us country mice it is real nice to have radio with that much variety.