Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 AM

psychedelic is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble with the For Sale section

Hey guys,

I know this is totally not the place to post For Sale related questions...but I was trying to post something on there and I couldn't... Do you know where I could get help for that? Appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

New rule - need 25 postings before new members can post in the buy & sell. Too many lurkers were just signing on to sell their stuff & not contribute anything to the site.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:43 AM

Xtasia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Xtasia

I don't particularly find anything wrong with that. People contribute in their own different ways. We wouldn't have people come post 25 things to the buy and sell forums before they developed a right to give advice.

a Pity this rule is in place.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:59 AM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtasia
I don't particularly find anything wrong with that. People contribute in their own different ways. We wouldn't have people come post 25 things to the buy and sell forums before they developed a right to give advice.

the problem was that existing users were registering under new names to sell items for some reason and not listing locations or following thru with sales.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:18 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtasia
actually I feel it is a good thing and maybe a little low. the problem that I see is that there are a ton of people who joined Canreef just to sell, so they log in, register, make two posts and then there is a dead name floating around for ever. Lurkers usually don't register as you can read all you want as a guest. Personally I feel the reason for having a resource like Canreef is foremost to learn and further the hobby, not to find cheep stuff to buy or a place to unload your equipment you bought on a whim because it turned out to be more work than the fish store lead you to believe, or what ever the reason.

there are plenty of Internet sites that are free buy/sell sites so it isn't like this is a function that is needed, but rather a convenience to the members of Canreef.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 AM

Well I think it's a matter of how much this inconvenience matters compared to the amount of new people we'll lose because they don't understand canreef's rules, or find it too "difficult" to join in.

I joined initially for the Buy and Sell forum many years ago, i didn't post to other forums for about 6 months because I didn't feel I had anything educated enough to say, but I did have things I wanted to buy or sell. I didn't want to be flamed for the lack of knowledgable insight. I lurked.

I wouldn't be here today if it was for these rules. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
actually I feel it is a good thing and maybe a little low. the problem that I see is that there are a ton of people who joined Canreef just to sell, so they log in, register, make two posts and then there is a dead name floating around for ever.
I don't think it's our place to judge what forum a person is most interested in.

Does anyone know how many people actually abuse Canreef in this way, and isn't there a way to ban their IP instead of inflicting this rule on new community members due to the actions of a few established exploiters?

What about phasing out names after 6 months of inactivity if dead names bother canreef members?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 AM

psychedelic is on a distinguished road

Yeah...I mean I check this board and post my pics and all...but 25 posts...hmm... that's quite a bit to accumulate. Checked the stickies in the For Sale section...hmm..wish there was more help for new members.

Anywayz...thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:22 AM

aquanot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to aquanot
Thumbs up Way to go Xtasia!

I feel the same way. I joined Canreef because I thought it was the most honest and friendly reef website out there. My self, I would rather absorb as much information from people as possible and make my decisions based on people's experiences. I value everyone's information wether I agree with them, or not. Without everyone's imput, the saltwater hobby would not be where its at today. I feel when the posting rules changed, it sort of put a dark cloud over the website. Just because someone has been a member for more than 25 posts doesn't mean that the equipment you want to purchase from them will be in "A" one condition. We can look at it another way, if someone has been in a hobby for a long time and they are selling a piece of equipment, may be we should consider it that it has seen its day and it may be just a piece of junk. Some people may have tried salt water hobby and found it wasn't for them and they may want to sell their stuff. Like the old saying goes" buyer beware" If you can't see it, touch it, feel it, smell it, or lick it, then don't buy it. One other thing, I don't really like is when some people slam other people for trying new products and posting the results.
I know I've tried a lot of products that didn't work and if someone is willing to spend their time and money testing something I greatly appreciate it.
We may not all get the same results, but at least we have someone elses experiences to go by.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

I would prefer to see a 30 day waiting period or something like that vs a minimum post count requirement. You can't abuse time. Whereas you can abuse a post count requirement if a person posts 25 useless posts within a couple of days. Of course, a user can wait 30 days and still start abusing the system and start selling stuff but he'd really have to be a patient person.