Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 04-18-2002, 12:17 PM

Location: Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/)
Biogeek is on a distinguished road
Default Next meeting?

I am supposed to visiting Calgary in the third week of June, and would be willing to give a talk if there was sufficient interest (I can provide a list of topics or poll the members for what they would like to hear). A list of some of my articles can be found here, and I could cover any of those subjects or others depending on the interest of the group...

I'm not sure exactly how you guys run your meetings, but I just saw this thread and realized that you're planning for June right now. So, I thought I should make the offer before anything was finalized...

Rob
Old 04-18-2002, 03:17 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road
Default Next meeting?

Hi Rob:

Thanks very much for your generous offer. I'm betting we could arrange our June meeting to accomodate your schedule, and I'm sure I speak for many when I say, "How cool would THAT be?"

In other words, we can almost guarantee sufficient interest. Heck, may have to put up some folks from Edmonton and B.C.

Regardless of the topic or format, it's great to extend you a welcome. Of course, the pressure is now intense - being only the 3rd meeting of our small, purposefully casual group. (Our June gathering is planned as a BBQ in Kim's large, shady yard.) ;)

Thanks again, we'll definitely look over your articles list and offer some feedback. Personally, I'd like to know more about all those worms...

Cheers,

AJ [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2002, 05:18 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Next meeting?

Yeah it was just a thought. Not necessarily a good one! I just want to get beyond the half-dozen or so of us who are on the net.

Well Rob, if you're reading this, I honestly hope you wouldn't mind taking the time to speak to our little group, even if we're small. (But we make up for it in enthusiasm, does that count for anything? :D ) I'd be very excited to hear anything you have to say about any of those topics, or anything new you may be working on.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:54 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road
Default Next meeting?

I'm sure Rob dosent mind talking to us. well i know this for a fact cause i was talking with him about 1 to 2 weeks ago about this topic.
Glad he still wants to come meet with us and we just have to finialize a date. dont know the size of kims yard but i am sure we can make it work unless all of calgary wants to hear :eek:
Old 04-18-2002, 06:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Default Next meeting?

JONATHAN FOR PRESIDENT....

:D

Man, you really are da man...
Old 04-19-2002, 12:18 AM

Tau2301 is on a distinguished road
Default Next meeting?

Hi Everyone, I have no problem with moving the meeting to the third week in June (it’s been OK’ed by the Mrs.).

It would be great to have Rob at the meeting – maybe we could bill it as the Surf &Turf Meeting as we would be talking about reefing and eating beef burgers.

Rob: what is the date that you would be here? Would you object to just speaking to a few ardent aquarists? I dread having my tank critiqued… :eek:

My backyard can accommodate quite a few people. It has been tested to the limits when all my family comes over.

Note to myself: remember to pick up the dog do. :D

As this was originally going to be a spouse and family affair. Would we now have to exclude them to make room? :confused:

Looking for some help with my thought process here…
Old 04-19-2002, 01:25 AM

Default Next meeting?

Kim:

I'd be happy to leave the kids at home, and haven't invited the Mrs yet. She'd likely enjoy it, though, and meeting other women who tolerate men like us.

You got room for the 2 of us? ;)

Alan

(Oh, and I second Jonathan for President.) :D

[ 18 April 2002, 21:26: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]
Old 04-19-2002, 02:06 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road
Default Next meeting?

Me for president???? :cool: Well arent I the cool stud..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I am going away near the end of june but me not being their will not stop any of this from happening. I dont know if Rob checkes here reqularly but I will mail him tommorow and try to find out an exact date so we can make this happen. I am sure my wife would be thrilled to come as she digs things like this.
Thanks
Jonathan.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:08 AM

Default Next meeting?

Just wondering out loud here ... If we can get the word out to our "non-internetting" counterparts I think there would be quite some interest. Maybe the thing to do would be to print up some flyers and see if we can get some LFS's to post them. I know places can sometimes get funny about flyers, so I guess there'd have to be some PR involved...
Old 04-19-2002, 04:13 AM

Default Next meeting?

I thought about that as well, but then...

Logistics come into play; Kim's yard may not be appropriate; do we then book a facility; should we plan an "event," etc...

Perhaps Rob would enjoy an informal talk with a smaller group. He seems like a decent sort, after all, and a meeting such as we are already planning would be conducive to chit-chat as well as a lecture.

Just my $.02.

AJ