Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Gools you can buy them at home hardware. I had one in my home is New Brunswick when I was posted there. We had one is was a smaller version I think and it was amazing unit. It really sucks out the humidity.

But you have to watch out if you have a Natural Gas furnace. You will need to keep open a window of have a small pipe coming in to let cool air in. Or you will hve a negitive affect on the furance. Causing the fumes from the chimmey to follow thur down the fresh air intake in the chimmey.

other then that i have a friend out in Brandon that has about 1000 gallons of water running in his basement. sizes of tanks 240, 135, 150, 6x90's, 10x55's, bunch od 35's a couple of 110 they keep cichilds and it was around 90% humidity in thier house they installed one and kept their bathroom window open around 2 " and with in 24 hours the % was down to 37%

So yes they work awesome My fishroom is sitting at 46-50% I have the dehumidifier plumbed to the drain and set on the dial for around little less then normal humidity.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I was going to say the same thing about negative pressure. Bio...you start this thread by saying that your house is "very tight". I've been reading about Humidex and at one point they specify that the air that you push out is replaced by "natural leaks around doors and windows" (or something almost exactly like that)

If your house is truly very tight, then you would be a natural candidate to have a problem. Get an opinion from an expert, but it may make sense to put in an input vent, or crack a window near the vent.

I'm truly glad to hear that it worked though, because I'm also in Coquitlam and have been thinking a lot about humidity issues as I plan out the install of my 360gal.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:02 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Hmm...just read your post again and you say that you run an open window. I assume that is all you need to do....but I'm no expert.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

If your house is air tight you should be running one of these:

http://www.humidex.ca/air-supply.htm
Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 PM

Biotech is on a distinguished road

Untamed: All I have to do is to leave an upstair window opened a little bit (an inch or so) to keep a good air circulation. The humidity of the house has been kept at 40% all these months since the Nov installation.
As for the furnance, the installation guy said it depends on the type of furnance you have - the one we got, we do not have to worry about it.

Psyire: Initially I planned to install one too, but Humidex installation guy told me that I do not really have to if I can keep one of the windows open ... and he is right.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

What is the advantage of these units over using a bathroom fan on a dehumidistat?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Noise ... which is my main concern as out den is in the basement

Also autoshutoff function when the set humidity is reached
Old 02-13-2006, 07:42 PM

There are very quiet bathroom fans.

The dehumidistat turns the bathroom fan off once the desired humidity level is reached.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Very true ...
But I did not have a chance to research how much does a quiet bathroom fan with a dehumidstat that can cover an area of 2500+ sq ft will cost. The Humidex fits my purpose (both function and cost-wise), so I go for it.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:19 PM

I dont think you would need a fan that can do the whole house, as long as you can locate the fan near the source of the humidity. In my case I will locate my bathroom fan right in my fishroom, and if the fan can keep the humidity down in the fishroom, I assume the rest of the house will be fine.

If you have multiple tanks is locations throughout the house, it could be different.