Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 AM

Doormatt is on a distinguished road
Default It's just way too loud...

*Sigh*

Two months ago, I couldn't wait to start my foray into Reefkeeping. Now I almost wish I hadn't started.

My tank is a 37G with an 18G sump, and from day one, I've had nothing but problems with noise. I've got a internal overflow box with 1 1/4" bulkheads drilled in the back wall (Both intake and output). I've got a MAG 9.5 powering my return.

I started out with 1 1/4" Vinyl tubing for my overflow, and that was noisy as all hell. It would make horrific gurgling noises, and if I closed the ball valve slightly on the return line, it would make it slightly better, but I'd be paranoid about an overflow.

So, yesterday and today, I switched the entire return line to 1 1/4" PVC (external durso mod), and it STILL gurgles like crazy. I've tried different size holes in the top cap of the durso, and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

I'm at my wits end here, and rather than being a relaxing hobby, this is quickly turning into a depressing exercise in futility.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions on how I can quiet my overflow?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:18 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

WHAT? Can't hear you!

All I can think of is that there's something wrong with your Durso... I had a screen on my first overflow... then tried quieting with sponges etc etc... always sounded like a toilet running or something... then I built my Durso's and it's been a lot quiter since... (if you can ever get 260 gallons of sloshing water quiet that is....)
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 AM

What I'm starting to wonder is if the overflow just can't handle the full output of the MAG 9.5. If I throttle the MAG back roughly half or so, it quiets down considerably. I'm wondering if I need to drill an even bigger hole in my endcap, but I don't want to go too big tonight...

*tears hair out*

The worst part is, I don't know if it CAN get any quieter. I've never seen another home reef system so I don't know if what I've got is very loud, or just par for the course.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 AM

Willito is on a distinguished road

Can you get some pictures of the overflow and plumming. also the dimension of the overflow.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 AM

Abbyreefer is on a distinguished road

I have a dual overflow and have a mag 9.5 on mine with 2 stockman standpipes, when I only had 1 it mad the same gurgling noise because it couldn't keep up with the flow and was trying to push it down.. Now with the 2 stockmans its super quiet... I would say either put another durso (if possible) or just turn your mag down.. Turnover in the sump should only be about 5 times tank volume so your mag would be turned to about the half way point or even less depending on your head loss if you use the above calculations.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 AM

Sure thing!

Overflow box is: 5"W by 3"D by 5"T

I'll have pictures in a a few minutes...it's hard to see much, but I'll try and show as much as possible.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 AM

Okay...with the MAG throttled back to about half, it's pretty quiet. I could live with this, but part of me feels I've wasted all that money on a Mag 9.5, when I'm not using all this power.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default noise and flushing

Just an idea, but it worked for me.
Remove the end cap and crank up the flow untill the durso starts to flush, then back off a bit. Then cover the top progressively untill it starts to gurgle and flush..ie to little air. Use this measurement to estimate hole size. ..mine is just over 3/8 in.
Good luck

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Now I can see the problem.... you need an elbow inside the overflow box.

A Durso or Stockman creates silent flow by drawing the water into the pipe under the surface... get an elbow in there facing down & crank that Mag to 100%... they won't last long running with back pressure anyways...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 AM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Duhhhh

HEY Yaaaa!!!....good eye Jim!!
tuning is the same though....should be almost silent when set -up

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....