Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation
Default Shark repellant

Hello,

Anyone knows how long shark repellant lasts, how they work, and what are the problems with using it?

Titus
Old 12-01-2005, 05:07 AM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

Best shark repellent ever....Dry Land!!!!
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 12-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Hello,

Seriously. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about it.

Titus
Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shark repellant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus
Hello,

Anyone knows how long shark repellant lasts, how they work, and what are the problems with using it?

Titus
it is unreliable so you can figure it would work about 50% of the time. as for how long depends on several things, current, wave action, wind, ect as it is like a dye and it will last until it is dispersed. they do not give it to us in our training as they consider it useless for all intensive purposes, and if we do go swimming they have a person with a gun watching to shoot sharks, apparently it is more effective.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:34 PM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Shark repellant...Ya right

....Hey Titus.....hows it goin ehhh, down dare in OZ?
Being a diver and a science-fish geek, I have a couple' O gems of "wisdom" for you.
The two classical stories are: 1) US navy used various dyes and detergents to mask a person visually (less aggressive color) and reduce the scent in the water. "Limited success wit ha soap called SDS (sodium dodecal....bla bla).........I don't know about you, but I am a little less than confident of "bubble bath " vs Great White....might reduce the fecal oder in the water , if you survive the first pass
2) chemical from a dead Moses sole....sharks don't eat its corpse.
..........some success but suffers the same fate as classic #1 ...ie not enough in a big ocean to demotivate a hungary VW bus from its pink snack.

But all is not lost.......recently there has been work on certain radio and/or electrical frequencies that attract or repell sharks...has promise but again the force to de-motivate a frenzied shark ....may work under certain situatuions.
Lastly and the one I like is the new mail (sp?)wetsuits. The stainless steel net inside or under the rubber protects your bits from being bitten off. It is similar to tinfoil on teeth fillings for sharks and not the expected physical protection or the steel.
Works best for nasty smaller sharks........soooo you goin ' dinner diving??
Have fun, cheers

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM

blood_hound is on a distinguished road

Well the only shark repellent that was proven to work was SharkPOD it transmit electrical field to protect divers.

Anymore info just google it b'coz I dont remember much just remember watching about it from the discovery channel
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Hello,

I see. Thanks guys. How about dye for SAR locating you? Any experiences or recommendations on them? If you have a choice of a few of those small parachute flares that don't require a gun vs some dyes, which one would you pick? I was searching for dyes and came across the these flares, which are quite cheap... around $30/ea aussie dollar.

Steve, it is interesting that they are shooting the sharks in the navy. Though the problem is, how does the shooter compensate for the refraction they see of the shark under water?

Titus
Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello,

Steve, it is interesting that they are shooting the sharks in the navy. Though the problem is, how does the shooter compensate for the refraction they see of the shark under water?

Titus
when it is about to attach a swimmer it is pretty close to the surface some times I wonder if our real job as shark sentry is to put some one who is attached out of the missery but seriously the refraction isn't that hard to deal with, we do practice on targts that are set to float about 2 to 3 feet under the water once and a while.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:25 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Hello,

... How about dye for SAR locating you? Any experiences or recommendations on them? If you have a choice of a few of those small parachute flares that don't require a gun vs some dyes, which one would you pick? ......
Dyes are predominantly a daytime distress signal, while parachute flares, although they would work in the daytime, are predominantly for night time.

But better than dye for daytime is a smoke float. Like a flare, a smoke float is a pyrotechnic and will produce orange smoke for about 20 minutes or so. Orange smoke is recognized by the International Maritime Organization as a distress signal, as is dye. But I'd go with the smoke. You can see dye from above only, basically. Whereas smoke floats can be seen from above and on the horizon from a distant surface vessel.

To summarize...go with both the parachute flares and smoke floats, and forget the dye.

HTH and cheers,
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Hello,

Cool thanks. Any suggestions of where I can get them online?

Titus