Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-11-2005, 09:55 AM

Dolf is on a distinguished road
Default A question about my Mantis

After 5 years or so of not posting I am back. As a short introduction I used to keep a 75 gal reef and loved it. I took it to McMurray with me in a holiday trailer and everything was fine until I left for work one night and had the power go when it was -35 or 40. Needless to say that when the tank is kept at those temperatures for a few hours nothing much survives and I put away the tank. Now I have set up a little 10 gal for mantis shrimp. I had wanted to keep them back when I had the large tank- but they seemed like a poor choice for the type of tank I kept. Now that it is up and running I find my mind racing at full throttle toward a 33 gal refugium and possibly a 5 gal nano… or a 10 gal … or maybe I’ll just pull the 75 out of storage. Funny how addictive this bloody hobby is.

Anyhow, as it stands I have live sand in 2/3 of the tank (thanks Will) and a divider to keep the shrimp in the other part. I was wondering if I pulled out the divider and let the Mantis run free if I will still have the diversity of life in the live sand, or will it consider the worms and such just a light snack? Most likely I will opt for the rufugium again- it worked great last time and I found I spent almost as much time watching worms and pods as corals and fish. However, for the next month or two I would like to just keep the 10 Gal as a stand alone and was wondering if I can let the shrimp have the run of the tank. Thanks for any help.
-Danny
Old 11-11-2005, 03:31 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Don't know the answer to your question, Dan, but I thought I'd say, hi, welcome back, good to see you again.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:20 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Just my opinion here, but I suspect that if you fed the mantis regularly, he would be less inclined to munch on critters. I've also not known them to be big sand diggers...
Old 11-14-2005, 10:20 AM

Dolf is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I think I will set up a 33 for a refugium again and try to do everything “right” from the start this time. Now to figure out what “right” is. Anyhow, there are 2 mantises in the tank- on lives high in the rock and the other in the substrate. Appear to be the same species with very different personalities. On a side note Tony, it is nice to see you are still around.
-Danny