Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-01-2005, 05:15 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 30 gal Coldwater Tank *Pics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
All my barnicles are feeding, more-so at night than during the day (i guess thats more natural for them

-Diana
I see the ones along the docks pumping all day when they are covered in water so don't think they feed more at night, I would guess they feed 24 hours a day. a reason for them feeding at night as apposed to the day in your tank could be that the tank cools down at night and they are a little more comfortable.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:45 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Maybe, but so far my tank only drops a few degrees at night. I think maybe its just cus i feed them in the evening, and so they begin to get more active after that at night. All of them are constantly "tasting" the water, just opening a little to get a taste... and then when they sense food in the water they fully open. Its really neat to watch. The mussels dont open much though, just a little to circulate water. They are actually kinda boring. hehe

I will post pictures soon

-Diana
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in doing a tank like that. Does anyone know what temp a tide pool is supposed to be? They have some fantastic tide pools out by Port Renfrew. I could spend days looking into those.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
I would be interested in doing a tank like that. Does anyone know what temp a tide pool is supposed to be? They have some fantastic tide pools out by Port Renfrew. I could spend days looking into those.
depends, they can get up to 100 degrees during the day depending on how shallow they are but back down to 55 when the tide is in.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 08-02-2005, 03:22 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
depends, they can get up to 100 degrees during the day depending on how shallow they are but back down to 55 when the tide is in.

Steve
So, theoretically, I would need to cool the tank to 55 for at least half the day? Will chillers get down that far?

Old 08-02-2005, 03:33 AM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

get a big enough chiller and not to large a tank and you could do a large temp pull down.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM

Justin is on a distinguished road

About chillers, someone made a comment to the point of chillers and quiet being an oxymoron.

A correct statement would be cheap chillers and quiet, being the oxymoron.

Get an appropriate sized quality chiller & you will be fine. You just need to get the money first.

Tell Raf to call me & I will let him know what I found.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy

Steve
So, theoretically, I would need to cool the tank to 55 for at least half the day? Will chillers get down that far?
yup a 1/4 HP will pull 50 gal of water down 30 degrees, so it willpull a 33 down that far.

Steve

Old 08-11-2005, 04:48 AM

So, a not-so-good update for my tank.

Everything was going GREAT up until monday, when i decided to add some chunks of barincles and large mussels to the tank. Me, being mainly a freshie, didnt realize how much these small creatures would add to the bioload. By today, my tank is a cloudy, reeking smelly mess having been thrown into a cycle (much worse than when i first started the tank). I am so mad i did this. My cute little starfish died, some crabs, some hermit crabs, and snails died. My anenomes are all closed up along with all the mussels and barnicles (hopefully they will make it in thier protective shells). Arg!

I learned my lesson. My whole room stinks like uncured liverock.

I will wait it out and see if anything survives, and then start over to fix this mess.

-Diana
Old 08-12-2005, 04:15 AM

Well that sucked. REAL BAD.

I NEVER NEVER EVER want to smell something that bad again. Had to completely overhaul the tank cus the cycled killed everything and stunk up my whole house.

*puke puke puke puke*

Tank is currently running brand new with some seaweed in it. Ah well. Future note: barincles and mussels add more to bioload than youd think....