Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 08-31-2002, 12:13 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road
Default F32T8 to drive 1 VHO?

So the way I see it then is that I will be able to get by with leviton's for the Icecap, but would/should have proper endcaps for the F32T8.

I had no idea I should not be using the leviton's as I have not seen a warning anywhere. The package only states 660w 600v. Nothing about amps.

Right now the WH7 is split to 2 t8 bulbs using leviton holders with no apparent problems. Is there a danger here that I should know about?

The stores that sell ballasts don't sell special lampholders so I didn't think I would be forced to spend 16 bucks a pair.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I lost my last brain cell at a golf tourney in June and am now running on deficit. :D I do appreciate your help.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2002, 01:45 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

So...Amps = Watts divided by Voltage -- for most resistive loads like lamps. For motors, which are reactive load...different story as Darren found out with his defective pump.

So 660W / 600V = 1.1A. A single lamp usually carries less than 800mA in overdrive or Icecap cases...so you are fine. When we are driving 100% VHO levels with a purebred VHO ballast, which are around 1.4-1.6A of lamp current...then you can see we can have a problem. As we all know, Icecap and the overdrive (both NO and VHO) configuration drive less than ~800mA in to the lamp. The main problem is the metalic contact between the lamp pins and the socket...its is mated through a very thin piece of metal.

I have been thinking about using VHO actinics too. If you want...I can try it out for you and tell you how well it works.

- Victor.

[ 31 August 2002, 09:49: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]
Old 09-01-2002, 04:10 AM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

As I have a few T8's lying around I am going to run NO's for awhile, so therefor wouldn't mind if you would like to try it first ;) .

I like the color of the URI actinic and would like to be able to replace my marine glo with it when the time comes. [img]smile.gif[/img]