Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM

jezx is on a distinguished road
Default BC army reserves

is there anything i should know before i consider joining? i thought i'd ask here since some of you are in the reserves
Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 PM

kellehar is on a distinguished road

yeah dont! Go reg force if your planning on doing so in the near future.
from my time in the reserves and from others I work with that were reserves also before going reg its nothing but a waste of time and energy.
I spent 5 years in the reserves and was only credited almost a year of reg force time for it. I could go on for hours with reasons not to but If you want my advice they'll do nothing but hold you back.

Justin kellehar ,Cpl
1 service battalion
1 CMBG
Old 07-21-2005, 03:49 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

A lot of Americans joined the U.S. reserves and were very surprised to find they were called to active duty in Iraq, risking being blown up to fight a war started based on lies by a cowardly president who himself had evaded military service.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 PM

bluetang is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess that sums up your feelings on the matter
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM

fresh is on a distinguished road

very well put trilinearmipmap.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:39 PM

Willow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Willow Send a message via Yahoo to Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
A lot of Americans joined the U.S. reserves and were very surprised to find they were called to active duty in Iraq, risking being blown up to fight a war started based on lies by a cowardly president who himself had evaded military service.
spoken like a truly unpatriotic canadian if you ask me. i have a lot of respect for anyone who wants to stand up and serve our country in a time of conflict.

90 Gallon LPS tank - Challice, Acans, Favia, Diplo and Zoos
125 Gallon SPS Coming Soon!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spoken like a truly unpatriotic canadian if you ask me. i have a lot of respect for anyone who wants to stand up and serve our country in a time of conflict.
Dont be so quick John. Im sure he spent many many years living in the states and time in the US reserve and is speaking from an informed point of view. Statement like that, i would assume, are based on fact and not on the "news" seen in canada or on "beverlyhills 90210". I would also assume he has spend his/her share of time in the war room to get a better view than the rest of the population.

Infomed statements like that keep free speak alive and well. Please dont bash him/her for it.

On topic I spent 4 years in the US army. ALot of the reservers had wished they went fulltime. it disrupted thier lives when "desert sotrm" started. If you have that life style then it would be great!

Thanks John!

by the way wanna help me pack my tank on saterday? wink wink
Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have no reserve or military experience.

I wanted to point out that a lot of people joined the reserves in the U.S. and figured they would never be called up to active duty. Anyone joining the reserves should expect they may be called up, with all the financial and family disruption this involves.

I have the greatest respect for those who have served. I have no respect for those who send them there without good reason.

Unfortunately in the U.S. the system works like this: Poor people and average working-class people (who are disproportionately minorities) send their sons to fight for the interests of rich white people and various powerful corporations. Upper-middle class and rich people would never send their kids off to be killed. Meanwhile the rich take all the benefits of the society that the poor people are getting killed fighting to protect.

If we are going to send our young people to die, perhaps a draft based on a random lottery would be the fairest way to do it, rather than enlisting people based on the fact that they are poor and black and have no other economic options. Senators, congressmen and other corrupt big-shots would be less likely to support a war if it meant their own sons and daughters would be sent into combat.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:41 PM

kellehar is on a distinguished road

I also saw ferinheit 911 but his topic is the canadain reserves/if he should join, and the canadain military is nothing like the U.S military. There is no draft in canada its on a volunteer basis, it is not filled with minorities because of poverty, also in the reserves if you dont want to go on tour you dont go. Family first as they say
Old 07-21-2005, 06:46 PM

snaggle is on a distinguished road

I have been in the comm reserve since 2002 I still like it I may or may not go reg forces. I have been told that I will get 1.5 years for my time so far. In Canada you will not have to worry about being called up unexpectedly, unless you name was put forth by you, it is an act of parliament to call up the reserve force from what I understand.

Brad