Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default GCFI/power failure alarm device?

Does anyone use any kind of device that emits an audible alarm in the event of a power failure?

It seems to me this could be useful in the event of a GFCI trip, i.e., if it happens when nobody is near the tank(s), it will draw your attention to a situation sooner than might be otherwise.

I imagine greenhouses, hatcheries, aquaculture, agriculture type operations must have a need for this so I bet there are a multitude of options available. I guess I'm just curious if there are any gearheads here who have this themselves and what devices they use? I did a cursory google search and came up with a bunch of options ranging from $40 to $100 so far. I wonder if that's pricey, or not.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:53 PM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

You could make a relay buzzer out of some cheap parts and a wall adapter. Just put in a 9v batt and a car buzzer on a 12vdc relay on the normally closed position. When the power goes out, the relay will close and the buzzer will go off. maybe $10 in parts. provided you have a 12vdc adapter lying around your house.

Or you could always splurge for the NetGuardian System that will page, phone and email you when there is a problem too.

www.dpstele.com/products/ne/netguardian

Runs around $3000US ;
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Are they located on the highway. Because for that price they outta be.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:53 AM

Justin is on a distinguished road

I use a small UPS made by APC, it is set to make a god awfull scream that should wake you from a deep slumber from across the house. If that fails to wake you, the dogs going nuts in conjunction with the repetitive high pitch scream should do the trick.

If that fails as well, throw in the constant squeel emited by the Tunze osmolator high water level alarm (from the sump filling) and you will be awake and at full attention in a split second, as shough the second comming was upon you and it was inspection time.

If all else fails, the cops banging down your door after they were called by your annoyed neibours should alert you to the problem...

HTH
Old 07-02-2005, 06:07 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I use a small UPS made by APC, it is set to make a god awfull scream that should wake you from a deep slumber from across the house. If that fails to wake you, the dogs going nuts in conjunction with the repetitive high pitch scream should do the trick.
ROFLMAO Funny, I have two dogs that will be sharing a room with my tank... I can just see it now. Thanks for the good idea and the laugh

Robert