Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-23-2005, 12:36 AM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

Pretty much. I don't even wash out the bottles, (ok, ok, so I'm really lazy with this stuff... but, it seems to work just fine ). If you don't want to store it in the fridge, you can always use an extra bottle, upside down, of couse, with it's own aeration, on a constant drip, into your tank, so, all you have to do is refill the bottle everytime it drops to about half, (as the new half will still have some unused Miracle Grow in it), and this way, your tank will have a constant feed, (or, do the same with your rotifers, so that you don't have to worry about feeding them). That's going to be my final goal, after my tank and sump is all set up. It's hard enough getting out of bed at 5 AM, but having to feed everything is more than I want to do on a daily basis . Also, if you don't already have a culture going, don't even bother with DT's.... I tried that and wasted a lot of time and Miracle Grow, trying to get it going... that stuff is essentially dead by the time you get it home... it just takes a while to start to stink.

Robert
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 AM

props is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to props Send a message via MSN to props

anyone want to share some rotifers? pls pls pls =o)
Old 06-23-2005, 02:12 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

That was my next question, I am not ready to start culturing rotifers and phyto just yet, but when I am, I am hoping these will survive 2 or 3 days in the mail.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:33 AM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

I've been meaning to start rotifers, but not anytime soon. We just bought a house so it's not worth setting it up until we move in.

I use coarse salt and a bit of bleach on my bottles when I reuse them because some of the phyto tends to stick to the side of the bottle..the bleach kills it and the coarse salt scrapes it off.

glad to hear about the DTs. I was going to try that for something to do, but I guess I'll save myself the $30
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 AM

Yeah, I tried a few times and blew a whole bottle of DT's trying to get it going. What a waste. You have to admit, they have a great marketing scheme going... I'm sure it was live when they bottled it, but, by the time you get it, there's not much left alive, if any.

Robert
Old 06-23-2005, 06:37 AM

Chad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
That was my next question, I am not ready to start culturing rotifers and phyto just yet, but when I am, I am hoping these will survive 2 or 3 days in the mail.
you can always buy the rotifer cysts (eggs) and hatch away.. no big deal

Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 AM

The rotifer cysts might be your best bet, to avoid receiving a bottle of freshly killed rotifers... unless there is someone close enough to you to deliver, or pick up from.

Robert