Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-10-2005, 05:51 AM

JimE is on a distinguished road

If you are slightly interested in pursuing this, do your own research and don't rely on anecdotal info. From the sounds of it, you don't even know what the pump actually is, its construction, or what the performance is. How can you compare it, apply it, or do a operating cost analysis, or.... without any basic infomation. Its like asking "I just got given a car motor, can I use it in my Honda.....??? Well, you know, its out of some kind of car, or maybe a truck...."

[/quote]the power consumption alone would end up paying for a decent reef pump.

And this is based on what information??? Its an opinion based on no information. There are spa pumps (and many other pumps) that are more efficient or cost effective than "reef pumps" in certain applications and at certain performance points.

[/quote]used one for about a year on their large tank. Lasted about 8 months before it burned up[quote]

How can you find fault in a product that still performed for over 4 months after it "burned up" ??? Come on, that's a selling feature in itself.... Umm, and you're considering this as advice

A "common" spa pump, on LOW speed can push 40-60gpm at 5-7ft of head - would be good for a closed loop or ?? If you find out the performance of the pump, THEN decide if that's what you want or can use. If it is, compare it to what equivalent is available in the reef products and see if it is cost effective. Remember, you got it for free. Does it make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on something new to save a few bucks on electricity a year?

I'm not endorsing using the pump, just saying do your own research before making decisions. Look outside the hobby to industry and manufacturers website.

Jim
Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Jim makes some very good points there, for example my pump has been running for 8 years constantly and I have only replaced 1 seal. as for power my hydro bill is increased by 25 to 30 bucks a month for just the hot tub (1500L tub) and that is also the heater so I figure 5 to 8 bucks for the pump each month.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:07 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Thanks for pointing out what should have been blatantly obvious. I'll get the info on it and check it out on the net to see what I can find out about it as well. I if it all works out, it gives me a great reason to run a 220 line by the tank, (which will make it easier to run my metal halides as well ). Time to start doing some research.

Robert
Old 05-12-2005, 07:33 AM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

a buddy of mine has two spa pumps on his system for a number of years, with absolutely no problems. His have a high and low setting. He has them switched to low, which still provides lots of flow and keeps the power consumption down. I know he's happy with them.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:03 AM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

I ended up using a sump pump from home depot for under $90. It is an all plastic construction and it pumps 3300gph @ 4ft of head. I had to install a diverter valve cause my overflow can't keep up.

Good points: Quiet, Great flow. Won't rust, cheap, power consumtion low, easy to remove for cleaning.

Bad points: Way too much power, Added heat to the system (although it still hasen't passed 80, I have to have my ebo jager at 50 to balance out the tank) Takes up some space in the sump
Old 05-25-2005, 05:44 PM

Well, there may be a buyer for the pump, so, I may not end up getting it after all, (won't know for sure for another week or so).

Gizmo, how loud is the pump? Might be a great alternative if the spa one doesn't fall through. Would you mind posting the name, and model number of it, (so I can check out my local HD)? Thanks.

Robert
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM

Its a Diamond Utility pump. All blue.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 PM

Thanks. Will try to check it out tonight. How loud is the pump?

Robert
Old 05-26-2005, 02:33 AM

Whisper quite. All I hear is the overflow from the skimmer and tank.