Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM

mrcopitr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
Evap seems fine, you should be able to maintain levles with the kalk alone, unless you have 40 or 50 pounds of corals in there!!

I think Mg could be a bit higher (1500ppm rings a bell, maybe someone confirm?) but try to use just the kalk for top off. Make sure your kalk is ok by testing it's pH. Saturated solution should be around 12.4

what are your nitrate levels?HNO3 is a weak acid that can affect alk (and therefore Ca). Make sure it's low to non-detectable.
Hi Brad,

I probably have close to 30 pds of lps and softies( lots of lps), c clams, coco worm, feather dusters, 100 pds LR...so calcium is probably taken quite fast...

My mg is at 1200ppm...slaifert test kit says it should be in the 1300 to 1500 ppm range, so I'm on the low side..I went on the reef calculator, and to bring it to 1300 I would have to add 90 tea spoon and 270 tea spoon to bring it to 1500. What are your recommenadtions, how fast should I raise the value...90 tea spoon sounds alot...and the label on the seachem mg container says it can impact on the Ph (lower it)..

Also I just checked a new batch (24 hrs) of IO reef crystals..and the mg reading is 1200 ppm....so If I hear you right I should dose mg to raise these levels on a regular basis...I always only relied on water change (every 2 weeks 20%) to take care of that. But if a new batch of salt reads 1200ppm....no wonder my reef readings are only 1200ppm...

Brad my nitrate level are non detectable...I would of been suprise to see any level, has I dont have algae problem, plus the 2 clams probably use any level their might be...

Anxious to hear your comments on the mg...Tks Marco