Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First, and let's not go any further, what is the SG of your water? It should be 1.026. Next, the levels you mention aren't bad. Ca over 350 is fine and allows calcification by the things that need it. Alk is also fine, 2.2 mEq/l is natural levels. Multiply that by 2.8 for dKh. You're well above that. The reason to go higher is just a safety zone.
I drip full strength kalk 24/7, don't care how much. If my levels are off at my bi-monthly test taking, I adjust up by adding turbo calcium/baking soda, or lowering by just adding RO water for a day or two.
Finally, pH will fall and be lowest in the am before lights on, highest at night before lights out. A swing og .3 is perfectly fine and expected in a well stocked tank.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

i thought that for kalk the measurement is 1 teaspoon for every gallon of RO /DI water

that is what i have been doing or i am wrong

mike
Old 03-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Mike, I believe it's something like 1.8tsp per gallon. I use 8tsp per 5g container.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:29 AM

mrcopitr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf
First, and let's not go any further, what is the SG of your water? It should be 1.026. Next, the levels you mention aren't bad. Ca over 350 is fine and allows calcification by the things that need it. Alk is also fine, 2.2 mEq/l is natural levels. Multiply that by 2.8 for dKh. You're well above that. The reason to go higher is just a safety zone.
I drip full strength kalk 24/7, don't care how much. If my levels are off at my bi-monthly test taking, I adjust up by adding turbo calcium/baking soda, or lowering by just adding RO water for a day or two.
Finally, pH will fall and be lowest in the am before lights on, highest at night before lights out. A swing og .3 is perfectly fine and expected in a well stocked tank.
Hi Brad,

Tks for all the comments. My SG is at 1.025-1.026. I always believed that to be good to your reef you needed an ALK of 11-12 DKH and calcium in the 450 ppm range, I'm happy to hear that it is not necessary.

I currentlt drip kalk 24/7 (2 teaspoon in 2 litres of ro/di water) plus I dose ESV B-ionic 2 part solution daily (aprox 60 ml of each solution)...am I doing something wrong here, when I test my parameters are as follows: calcium 350 to 380 ppm, alk from 7 to 9 DKH, my ph is at around 8.2 to 8.25 at is highest..and 8.0 at its lowest...by driping kalk 24/7 at my current mix..shouldn't I see a higher PH??? also is it a good pratice to drip kalk and add the ESV 2 part solutions...or could I just get by with kalk only???

I appreciate your comments on this ..tks Marco
Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Just a guy..

You could just use kalk to maintain levels, but 2 tsp /2 litre is about double what it should be. Aim for 2 tsp per 4 or 5 litres. 24/7 is fine, and unless you dump a few gallons in at once, pH won't climb too much. I'd try to rais the levels with either kent's 2 part stuff or turbo Ca and baking soda. Once the levels are where you want them, kalk should maintain it.
Your pH now is fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:35 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

If you are adding kalk and 60ml each of the 2 part now to maintain those levels, i don't think kalk alone will do it. I'm dripping 6L of saturated kalk and vinegar and i'm adding 20ml each of the kents 2 part to my 75g daily to maintain similar levels

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Just a guy..

whether or not kalk will do it will depend a lot on evaporation rates. I went thru 5g per day, so that much kalk was more than enough. As with anything in this hobby, YMMV. If you're evaporating 1/2g per day in a heavily stocked tank, it may not. You can figure it out mathematically by detemining what your consumption rate is over 24 hours, then determine the amount of saturated kalk you'd have to drip in the same time period to maintain levels.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 PM

mrcopitr is on a distinguished road

Thanks Marie and Brad for all the good input in my problem, it is really appreciated.

One last question, when you test your water for calcium and alk lets say for example at 1h00 pm, the results are not going to be the same 5 hours later? Am I right? Mine are not, they usually fall as the day goes and climb back up when I add the 2 part solution, which is plenty normal..but it does not remain there very long.

thanks again Marco
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Just a guy..

no, my Ca and alk stay constant, sometimes for weeks on end. The kalk is supposed to maintain the levels. How much evaporation do you have?
When I had to adjust withthe 2 part solutions, it would be once a month or so.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:46 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

From all the reading I have done recently about chemistry in a reef, I just want to point out how important it is to maintain magnesium levels along with Ca and alk. If there is depressed Mg in a system, Ca will not be utilized for coralline or stony coral growth, no matter how balanced alk and Ca are. Always figure Mg into your equation. I guess that is why the Reef Chemistry Calculator includes Mg along with Ca and alk:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Remember, too, when calculating the dimensions of your tank to use the INSIDE measurements of the tank, not the outside measurements, for the Aquarium System Volume Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel