Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 PM

mrcopitr is on a distinguished road
Default problem maintaining proper parameters

Hi ,

I seem to have a real hard time maintaining proper parameters in my 90 gal reef. (mostly LPS, softies and a few clams)

I've been using the reef chemistry calculator to help me out, but it only seems to push my PH down when I add the suggested calcium and buffers (I ues ESV B-ionic two part solutions).

my calcium has been in the 350 ppm range and the alk is in the range of 7.7 to 8.5....I've been adding the suggested quantities by the calculator, to bring the paramters where I want them (i.e calcium 400ppm and Alk to 10-11) but it only last for a few hours and then it falls back on the lower side bringing the PH down with it.
My magnesium reading are in the 1200-1250 range.

I'm also dripping kalk 24/7 (top off water), could that play a role with the unstable parameters and suggested dosing by the reef calculator.

I hope to hear your comment ....and suggestion...Thanks Marco
Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

From what I have heard is that if your dripping to much Kalk it has a huge effect on your PH.....what do you mean when you say it brings your ph lower as in closer to 1 or closer to 12????

Kevin
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Dripping Kalk 24/7 is what is influencing your results. You need to carefully control how much Kalk is added in a given time period.

The inexpensive way to do it is to measure the amount into a container, then let it drip such that the container empties before 24 hours. Repeat with the same amount the next 24 hour period. This way, you always know exactly how much you've added over 24 hours. Measure your Ca/Alk so you know if you need to drip more or less Kalk.

If you are simply keeping a container full of kalk and letting it drip constantly, you're headed for trouble.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:14 PM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road

If thats the case then how does a kalk reactor work? Its feeds Kalk when ever the top off turns on. No way to measure how much kalk you are adding to your tank at any one point in time. depending on how hot or cold my house is that day I can use from 1.5 to 2.5g of top off each day. My skimmer as well plays a part in it. Sometimes it removes a fare amount of water other days not a drop. should i be trying to figure how how much it adds per day or have i got it totaly screwed up?

That would suck lol
Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch
From what I have heard is that if your dripping to much Kalk it has a huge effect on your PH.....what do you mean when you say it brings your ph lower as in closer to 1 or closer to 12????
My Ph is around 8.2 to 8.25 during the day and it drops very rapidly to 8.0 at night ( and as PH probe are not perfectly exact..I pressume it could be even lower). Thats what I dont understand, as I drip kalk 24/7 via a mediacl pump...it should be higher...shouln't it???? plus my calcium is usually around 375ppm...so I presume I'm far from over adding kalk... (my kalk solution is made of 2 litres of ro/di water with 2 tea spoon of kalk plus a few drops of vinrgar...I drip this solution at about 200 ml per hour.

Hoping to get more point of vues on this..thanks Marco
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

What do you have in your tank that is using calcium? What levels do you usually keep Ca at?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika
What do you have in your tank that is using calcium? What levels do you usually keep Ca at?
I have 2 clams, coco worm, lots of lps corals and softies...

tks marco
Old 03-25-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika
I usually had my alk at 7 to 9 dkh...and calcium at 370 to 380ppm....but I would like my range to be closer to 400 to 425 ppm for calcium and 10 to 11 for dkh??? Am I setting goals that are not necessary??? Plus when my alk is on the low side i.e. 7...my PH tends to fall rapidly.....

Tks
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 AM

I think I know what you problem is, give me a couple of minutes and I may have an answer or at least a lead for you...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:11 AM

If you keep your alk between 7 and 9, you need to keep your calcium at at LEAST 425ppm/Ca. This is because if you keep your alk and Ca in balance with each other, you pH should stay the same, or in the very least fluctuate less.