Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 02-14-2005, 07:53 PM

karaea is on a distinguished road
Default what to do?

We are starting up a 20gal Nano, and i just had a question about live rock... We got a peice from wolfen when he went to j&l's and are currently cycling the tank. There are somethings that are obviously dieing off and i was wondering if we should take it out of the tank or let the dead stuff be so that the tank will cycle. What have other people done with theirs? Any input would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks in advance.

~karaea
Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what to do?

The dead stuff will contribute to the cycle. IMO, I would cycle the rock in a separate container rather than in the tank. Either that, or do a 100% water change at the end of the cycle to get rid of all the nitrate that will be produced and siphon out any detritus from the bottom of the tank.

HTH.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 02-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

I would think a 100% water change would be a bad idea. You would lose almost all bacteria. Ive always cycled my tanks that arnt inhabited with like uncured rock. Afterwards test the nitrate and do water several water changes to get it down to acceptable levels.

Back in the good ole days
Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

The bacteria that we want don't live in the water column. Most, if not all resign on the surface of your tank, rock, sand, etc. A large water change should not have a significantly negative impact on a newly cycled tank (assuming the water going into the tank does not differ significantly from the water that is leaving the tank). However, I would still suggest testing the water for a couple of days after a water change before adding anything to the tank.

-Rich