Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
SeaHorse_Fanatic SeaHorse_Fanatic is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,880
SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default

Many of us in this hobby treat this as the most or one of the most important parts of our lives. That's why its called an addiction. However, hobbies, by definition, are things we do for fun & relaxation. Funding our addictions is a luxury & if priorities/work/family circumstances change, luxury items should be the first expenses (in terms of time & $$) to go. Like others above have already written, if it comes to family vs hobby, taking care of the family must take precedent.

In the past, and even today, I've always held to the position that if I'm unable or unwilling to give my pets the care/$$/attention they require, then I should sell/trade/give them to a good home. Just last month, when it got too busy with work (1 day off in 7 wks & counting), I sold my citron crested cockatoo Rupert to the local bird lady where I know he'll have a great time & get the attention he so desperately needs. I decided that I had time for my tanks, but not enough to spare taking care of him.

I sympathize with those who are trying to juggle even more by doing everything & having kids added to the mix. Hats off to those who persevere. At the same time, I will not condemn those who decide to quit this hobby for a time because they are usually making the right decision. Whether they are in over their heads or just have changed priorities, if your heart & mind is not into this addiction, let your creatures go to more suitable homes.

All that being said, it is sad when I hear or read of a dedicated hobbyist calling it quits. This sadness though is tempered by the gleam in my eye if there are great deals to be had.

Sorry for the long essay....

Anthony
Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.