Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2016, 04:46 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisco View Post
reliable information is the key. I have a 100 gal mixed reef. The SPS component consists of smaller acros, various monti's, and birds nests but I am looking to grow this part of the reef. I have numerous LPS as well and then for softies I have some toadstools, colt/Kenya, and Zoas. I am trying to keep everything happy. Currently use IO reef salt, but I am considering switching to Aquaforest. I dose Ca, Alk and Mg automatically. Then trace elements, acro power, and MB7 by hand somewhat sporadically. I also run a protein skimmer, RowaPhos, Hydroton, and NitraGuard. Heavy bioload system. So which salt is best for me? I am trying to run ULNS. I am away a lot, so can't do a zeo tank or anything that needs daily attention, it needs to run itself for upto 4 days. Any thoughts?
I personally prefer the probiotic over the reef, however, I'm running full aquaforest. You could use either, however, probiotic has the benefit of the added beneficial bacteria. In order to support this bacteria you would want to carbon dose which aquaforest has supplements for. If you choose to carbon dose, in your case you would want to go for the diluted version of NP Pro and have this on a doser. You could probably get away with dosong yhe bacteria supplement less ofte as long as the carbon is dosed to support it. The problem with ULNS however is they often require daily supplements in order to support the corals in a ULNS environment. The key I've found with the aquaforest system is to watch your tank and and and adjust doses by visual signs.

One of the aquaforest products I have found most beneficial is their component 1+2+3 (I make my own though with component strong and dry mix as it'stands way cheaper). The added benefits of these trace elements have really helped in growth and color and I think many others can attest to this.

Either way you go in the end, reef salt or probiotic, is fine. Aquaforest is one of those systems you can go all in or pick and choose the products based on what you are looking to achieve.

Don't know if this really answered your question

What's your current measurements for phosphate and nitrate in your system?