Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
Yes, but "noisy" is the bearings starting to fail. As long as it's under warranty, then....well...it still takes TIME (time with no Vortech in your tank) to get it fixed (regardless of whether you're paying or not).

Presumeably, they replace the dry side in it's entirety but even if they didn't, I think it's safe to assume that the replacement or repaired unit will have the same inferior quality bearings. Perhaps the bearings are good quality and there is a design issue; I don't know and the Vortech folks will never say.

One way or the other, it seems safe to say that it is simply a question of time before the bearings will have to be replaced on these. For the 'lucky ones' they'll fail early and you don't have to pay for it. For others, they'll last a little over a year and then fail.

Now, to be fair.... these pumps speed up and slow down endlessly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.....it's a LOT. However, if you're going to sell something that's *designed* for such a demanding application, and charge primo $$ for it, you'd better damned well be sure it can cut the mustard, so to speak !
Well, anything that moves can wear, so it is expected. I can state the JL is selling replacement parts, and the pricing is quite reasonable. So I am not worried. They do what they claim, and do what other powerhead/wavemakers cannot. I am not worried, and can say that Ecotech has been easy to deal with, in my case.

Still worth the $$$$, IMO. But I am always opent to cheaper pricing, and would welcome them lowering their pricing.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk